Hog Service Kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigd2722

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was under the impression that the HOG service kits for the D2 and the D3 were identical. If so, why are the D3 kits higher priced?

thanx

They are not identical. The addition of the turret to the D2 body means additional components.

---------- Post added November 28th, 2014 at 05:26 PM ----------

There is also a removable HP seat orifice currently in the D3 that is going away with the next generation. Going back to the machined in orifice. I just finished writing the assembly and disassembly procedures right before DEMA. Ask your instructor to get them from HOG. I need to edit them a little and plan to do that over the next couple weeks. It was a rush job that I wanted to get done. They are complete just need a little polish. If you've taken the class they are very easy to follow.

Jim, still carb tox'd from yesterday?
D1 and D2 can use the same parts kits, but the D1 has the turret so has the extra o-ring. Internals are the same, same concept as the Apeks DS4 and DST, the D3 is actually a new design, so has a different parts kit than the D1.

He asked about the D3 vs the D2. D1 was never mentioned.

---------- Post added November 28th, 2014 at 06:17 PM ----------

The D3 is essentially the D2 with the BP turret assembly added. At least that was what the email from Jack said to me. The difference is the removable orifice in the D3 that is going away ALONG with the turret. I have kits here in front of me for all of them. The D2 also uses a different filter than the D1. The filters for the D2 and D3 are the same.

The flow through design of the D3 also changes the balance chamber assembly to accommodate that since the D2 does not have a 5th port that makes use of this. The torques for the bottom bolt in the D2 and the D3 balance chamber plug are the same.

Last edited:
removable orifice in the D3 that is going away ALONG with the turret.

What do you mean by "going away", could you please clarify? Is the D3 soon about to be replaced by yet another HOG regulator model? ( I suspect that's not what you meant, but a train of paranoid thoughts has suddenly crossed my mind and destroyed my zen. )

fair enough, I had the d1's and d2's, but haven't taken apart a d3, figured it was a full redesign due to the turret change from the d1 and the removable orifice.

What do you mean by "going away", could you please clarify? Is the D3 soon about to be replaced by yet another HOG regulator model? ( I suspect that's not what you meant, but a train of paranoid thoughts has suddenly crossed my mind and destroyed my zen. )
The removable orifice is being replaced with the one machined into the body like the D1 and D2. Think of it as a second generation D3. Everything else will be the same. Better be as that what the service procedure I wrote says based on the info I was given to do it with.

The removable orifice is being replaced with the one machined into the body like the D1 and D2. Think of it as a second generation D3. Everything else will be the same. Better be as that what the service procedure I wrote says based on the info I was given to do it with.

Ok, my instructor today said that the replaceable hard seat easily gets damaged when folks toss it into a bin together with other parts, and that a seat machined into the body is more protected, therefore more durable. I guess it makes some amount of sense to make the seat non-replaceable if this is indeed the case, although I would hope I will manage to be more careful than that. Just to be sure, the replaceable seats will continue to be available until the end of time?

Ok, my instructor today said that the replaceable hard seat easily gets damaged when folks toss it into a bin together with other parts, and that a seat machined into the body is more protected, therefore more durable. I guess it makes some amount of sense to make the seat non-replaceable if this is indeed the case, although I would hope I will manage to be more careful than that. Just to be sure, the replaceable seats will continue to be available until the end of time?
In a class I recently completed (not HOG) the instructor made a point of isolating the removable orifice in a separate plastic container within the ultra sonic cleaner.

---------- Post added November 29th, 2014 at 07:02 AM ----------

He asked about the D3 vs the D2. D1 was never mentioned.

---------- Post added November 28th, 2014 at 06:17 PM ----------

The D3 is essentially the D2 with the BP turret assembly added. At least that was what the email from Jack said to me. The difference is the removable orifice in the D3 that is going away ALONG with the turret. I have kits here in front of me for all of them. The D2 also uses a different filter than the D1. The filters for the D2 and D3 are the same.

The flow through design of the D3 also changes the balance chamber assembly to accommodate that since the D2 does not have a 5th port that makes use of this. The torques for the bottom bolt in the D2 and the D3 balance chamber plug are the same.

So is the D3 kit backwards compatible with the D2 and the D1. I ask because I have all 3

Yes and no. The filters in the 2 and 3 are the same. The D1 is different. The 2 and 3 do not have all the o rings the D1 requires. Basically the HP seats are the same as are the diaphragms and diaphragm washers in the D1 and D2. The D3 uses a smaller diaphragm and washer. The balance chamber o ring is the same. Port plug o rings yes. It's the rest of the kit where the differences are. Best to use the right kit for the reg. When people start trying to mix them is when we see problems. And why would anyone want to buy the more expensive kit when it's not needed in the D1 and D2? As an instructor for the course I would never recommend one try to use a kit for a reg it's not designed for.

---------- Post added November 29th, 2014 at 12:00 PM ----------

Need to issue a correction on the D3. Just talked to Jack at HOG and because I have not tried to mix kits, which you should not anyway, the diaphragms and diaphragm washers for the D1 and D2 are the same. The D3 is actually smaller than both of them and therefore cannot be used. I wanted to get that out there ASAP and will be adding a note in the D3 service procedures and passing that on to Jack so it can be distributed to instructors for the course.

Sorry for any confusion. What it comes down to is as what I said earlier. Use the kit made for the reg you are using.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom