Which type of seal do you recommend?

• Latex Seals

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • Neoprene Seals

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK, all of you dry suit afficianados, I'm taking the $$$ plunge and getting a dry suit.

The question is, what do recommend, latex or neoprene seals?

I'm going to put this in a poll format so that we don't have to waste too much band width with unnecessary chatter.

Thanx for your input . . .

the K

I'd go with the latex seals, unless you have latex allergies.
the Pro's:
They are easier to fit, hold their shape better and tend to last longer (barring rippage), quicker process to swap out (especially if you are considering a DUI with zip seals.)
with zip seals you can change a seal out in about 10-15 minutes
the Con':
no thermal protection, can tear easier then Neoprene seals.

I use Latex Seals. Mostly because that's what I've always used. I think sometime last year, UP posted a thread about his reasons for moving to (I believe) a Neoprene neck seal - said he'd never go back. It was interesting, and persuasive, but I ended up sticking with my Latex.

I've ripped a neck seal on day 1.5 of a 3 dayer a couple of years ago - no fun. Been diving the zips for a year and a half - never an issue. With the body changes I've undergone, its been easy to keep my suit fitting by simply cutting my spares to my new size.

---
Ken

I use neoprene seals on my neoprene suits (Poseidon Unisuits) & latex seals on the Vikings.
Neoprene have an edge in extremely cold water & are simple & cheap to repair/replace; you can even make your own out of sheet neoprene.
If you're getting a shell suit, you may just want to stick with latex though.

I hear the cold water argument all the time for neoprene.
Personally I use latex and dive in water thats 0 C (32 F) without a problem.
I've spent over an hour in freezing water and was quite comfortable.

I have to assume that its a matter of different people with different sensativities.

Try diving with a latex seal around your neck, I find it personnaly a little ,ore uncomftarble than the neoprene aqnd always get marks (no its not too tight i just easily get skin burn) wich usually make for interesting conversations monday morning at work ....
Never had that problem with my neoprene drysuit...

jroy017:
Try diving with a latex seal around your neck, I find it personnaly a little ,ore uncomftarble than the neoprene aqnd always get marks (no its not too tight i just easily get skin burn) wich usually make for interesting conversations monday morning at work ....
Never had that problem with my neoprene drysuit...
Sorry about the neck problem, but sounds to me that you might be allergic to or have a sensativity to latex.

Dove a neoprene for years; only after getting latex seals did I realize there are seals that don't leak.
Rick

Neoprene neck with latex wrist works great for me. Latex neck seals were uncomfortable for me, but worked fine on the wrist. The neoprene neck seal is warm and comfy with no leaks. Never tried the neoprene wrist seals.

I have a Bare suit with it's stock latex wrist seals and neoprene neck seal. The neoprene neck seal is nice in that it keeps your neck warmer in cold water, and it's easily repairable with aquaseal and dental floss [well, at least for the gash that I suffered]. I dove on the repaired seal for well over a year before my wrist seals needed replacing.

The biggest downfall of the neoprene seal, aside of it leaking, was the fact that it was a slow form of torture to remove as all the hairs on the back of my head would get caught in it and rip out. When I had my wrist seals replaced, I switched to a latex neck seal....

.. I'm never going back.

Back
Top Bottom