Standards - can I use a drysuit without a certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Piscean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So here's the (hypothetical - but based on real life) situation: I am a PADI divemaster and I am currently doing a drysuit certification. This weekend I wanted to go to diving in Cape Ann (where it is cold) but I hadn't done the two open water dives I need to complete the drysuit certification. I took a rental drysuit anyway and used it for my dives. The store owner knew that I didn't have certification for drysuit. Now my instructor is giving me and the store owner a hard time for being bad role models. There were no students present on the dives. What do you folks think?

And a more general question: Is a drysuit certification required before using a drysuit?

I would appreciate hearing what you have to say on this.

Thanks,
Piscean.

You don't need a drysuit certifcation to dive in a drysuit, just like you don't need drift diving certification to do a drift dive, boat diver cert to do a boat dive, night diver cert to do a night dive...etc. If you want to get certified in it, that is a really good idea. However, the important thing is that you learn about the special considerations relevant to that type of diving before you try it, not that you get any specific card.

otter-cat

The LDS I use in the UK won't hire you a dry suit if youhave not got a cert (I bet they'll sell you one though).

For insurance purposes the club affiliated to the LDS will only let you dive with them if you are Boat and Drift certified - nearly every dive is boat and almost any dive in the UK can turn into a drift dive.

I think the dry suit spec is quite a good one as it covers the different buancy characteristics of a dry suit, some new self-rescue stuff and care of a dry suit.

Yes you can pick this up from the book - but there is no way the LDS makes any money from this course (probably the cheapest one there is), they've probably already done that it selling it to you in the first place (especially with those prices in the US)!

Jonathan

If you know how to dive safely with a dry suit, a c-card is a waste. Knowledge and skill is what is important, the card is secondary. Learning how to use a dry suit is very important, putting another card in the wallet is not.

No you don't need a cert to dive with a drysuit. But you should know what you're doing in one. Using a drysuit is similar to, but not the same as wearing a wet suit. If you gain the knowledge on how to properly use one including what to do in an "inflation" emergency from any source... you should be ok.

Proof you know what you are doing is all you need

When I bought my drysuit I did the pool portion of the class. I then went on my own to the quarry and practiced as part of my tune up dive. Since then I have dove with my drysuit several times, one of which was for my wreck certification dive. I ask my instructor after that if it was necessary to get the card and he said I could if I wanted to pay for it, but it wasn't necessary. He did however sign my log where I had written that I dove witha drysuit just in case someone questioned.

Ty

You don't need a "C" card for anything, not even diving. But instruction and practice is critical for safe practice. As for diving with a drysuit, instruction and practice under supervision with someone that knows what they are doing is prudent, especially emergency procedures with a drysuit. It can kill you practicing alone.

I think it is a good course and no you don't need a card. I encourage our DM's to take the specialties that we teach. They are not charged for the course and they pay cost for the books if they want thier own copy. I push this so they know the material well enough that they can assist with a class. An experienced diver can certainly learn a dry suit without a class. Many less experienced divers are better off taking the class. I will rent a dry suit as long as the diver can document experience in one. I will not rent a suit to someone if I believe they have never dove one before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom