DUI ZipSeals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjsmith1979

Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping that someone could let me know if they have any DUI ZipSeals for neck and wrist on there DUI Drysuit. Have they had any problems with these ? Any good things that anyone can also share would be appreciated ?

I have just brought a TLS350 Signature Series Drysuit with ZipSeals for Neck and Wrist and have been hearing from a couple of people that the original latex seals are more safer and the ZipSeals have been known to leak quite a bit.

Is this just becuase of people's poor maintenance before the dive or has there been some manufacturer faults with this ?

I also have a TLS350 with ZipSeals. The only problem is that the DUI measuring chart for cutting the seals makes them too big, often causing them to leak. My first set, I cut about two sizes too small, thinking that I could always make them bigger by cutting them down more after trying them out first. Suprisingly, even two sizes smaller than DUI's chart was still too big, resulting in leaking wrist seals for me.

So, $138 + $118 later, I cut my next set three sizes smaller. This made the neck one line too small. I cut one ring off from the neck, and I have had no problems ever since.

I have no problems with the seals at all though I have only had my suit for about three months. I think it will be fine.

BTW, the whole point of getting the ZipSeals is to be able to change them out in the field. So, make sure you get an extra set to keep in your spare parts bag in case you somehow tear a seal while on a dive trip.

My old suit was also a 350 but with the standard seals. I had no problems with that one; I just want to be able to change the seals without having suit down time while doing the change over or to kill a dive trip when I am out on the boat and tear a seal.

Very Quick,

I have Zipseals on my wrists only. I did not want to have them on my neck. I can tell the zipseals are not leaking and they are safe. I have heard people saying that in extreme cold temperatures...below 35 they tend to freeze and can become deattached.

Ed

Tampico_ED:
Very Quick,

I have Zipseals on my wrists only. I did not want to have them on my neck. I can tell the zipseals are not leaking and they are safe. I have heard people saying that in extreme cold temperatures...below 35 they tend to freeze and can become deattached.

Ed

Wow, that is not good at all for me then as I am travelling around through Canada and enjoy doing Ice Dives around the 30-32F icy waters. Does anyone else have these ZipSeals and had any problems with diving in Icy Waters before 35 ??

Cmon, there has to be someone out there that has used ZipSeals under 35oF waters... isnt there ? Have anyone else had any problems or anything to say about these DUI ZipSeals ???

coreypenrose:

Wow - actually, I'm pleasantly surprised that DUI left those stories on their website. Many manufacturers would have deleted the bad stories and continued to gloss over any issues.

TJ - in answer to your concern, as a regular cold water Great Lakes diver, there is no way, no how I would put zip seals on my suit. YMMV, obviously, since there are lots of people who don't see a problem with the Zip Seals. But what I find really scary are the zip gloves - having dry gloves with no inner wrist seal is just asking for a world of hurt.

Well, the fact that DUI is being honest about both the good and bad qualities of their gear says a great deal about the company. IMO, they make some of the best gear on the market and they stand behind their equipment. I wouldn't buy zipseals again, but I might buy them in the future.

I have a buddy who recently had zip seals put in his DUI suit. He experienced leaks right away. He sent the suit back to DUI and they replaced the seals. DUI said that there was a bit of mold flashing across the seal that caused the leak. My buddy has since dived the suit once since he got it back, with no leak. Me, I'll wait a while before I put them on my suit. It's not that hard to change wrist seals, anyway.

I've had no problems at all with my zip seals in a DUI TLS 350 dry suit. I have zips for the neck and wrists. Not a drop has leaked in.

I've made 9 dives with them, so far. The first 7 were with rental suits, and of these, 4 were in suits that were a size too big, because that was all that was available (this might be relavant to posts I've read about wrist leaks). With the correct size (M), the rims of the wrist seals come just short of the heels of my hands. The seals make a tight S-curve, starting at my wrists, going up my forearms, then turning around and going past the rims, then turning back up-arm to the rims. In case it matters, 2 of my dives were walk-ins at a quarry, and the others were off of boats.

I bought my own seals at a LDS before my first rental. There, the DUI expert cut them to fit. I've transferred them from rental to rental and then to my own new TLS 350, being careful each time to ensure they are completely snapped in place. I cut the new seals that shipped with my suit to match exactly the cuts made at the LDS, and I carry these with me to dives as spares in an air-tight plastic bag.

Initially, it was very hard for me to unlatch the seals to remove them from the rental suits. Then I got the idea of using a plastic bicycle tire iron, one that smooth and has no sharp corners. Its flat end works perfectly to open the seals enough for me to poke my finger in the resulting gap and run it around the rim to completely release it. I carry the "iron" in my dive box.

To lubricate the seals for donning the dry suit, I've tried "pure" talc, soapy water, and KY jelly. They all work fine, but the soapy water is hard to carry on a dive boat. The KY is great but if you don't carry a rag to wipe excess off your fingers, you won't be able to pick anything up. Whatever you use, be patient and careful as you work the seals over your head and wrists.

Talc is the standard recommendation (not the scented, chemicalized baby talc), and I'm going to try it some more, despite the white dust everywhere on my suit. It's also been suggested that a thorough dusting of both sides of the seals with talc extends their life in storage. I'll try that this winter.

Hope this is useful.

Safe diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom