Semi-Dry Suits...thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cold_Under_Here

Contributor
Reaction score
Have many peopled used these semi-dry suits? What are your thoughts? Are they much warmer than wets and less cumbersome than drys?...etc.
I dive in 2-6 C Canadian waters... Give me your experiences and opinions. ie. Should I considered trying one?

cheers!! :D

There are several thread about semi dry's here..just do a simple search. You will find that most will say if you can't afford a dry suit then go semi. I have the Mares Isotherm and like it.

For the cost of a new or even gently used semi-dry, you can have a decent used drysuit.

I paid $400 for my used drysuit (an OS Systems), and it has been great. Considering I paid nearly $300 (over $300 when you figure in the boots) for a 2pc 5mm Henderson (which is nearly useless in the waters up here), I wish I had known enough and been able to buy the OS right off the bat.

I'll go with a custom cut suit someday, but for the time being, my drysuit is perfect.

Hi there -

I did most of my early cold water diving in a 7 mm two piece (total 14 mm on torso). I went through two of them.

I then grabed a Mares Isotherm Semidry - it was more flexiable and about as warm as the wet suits however it was not enough for multiple dives in 10 C water: after one or two dives i had enough for the day.

I used the isotherm for around 12 dives before I bit the bullet and got a drysuit. I am now toasty warm both below and above the surface and dont think twice about doing dive after dive in cold water. I am not diving wet in cold water ever again.

Save yourself the expense and get the drysuit now. You won't regret it. I wouldn't recommend a wet suit (including semidrys) for 2 to 6 C water: for such temperatures you will enjoy things a lot more in a drysuit.

Anyone wish to buy 2 wetsuits and a semidry?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Save yourself time and money and go dry, it will be the smart move, and I'm speaking from experience because I did it Bas-Ackwards.

What does semi -dry mean anyway? Is that like semi-pregnant? Maybe it's like semi-dead? I always thought that you were wet or you were dry. What have I missed here?

For temps that darn cold, you'll be wasting your money on anything but a trilam with 400g undies....go for the drysuit and be warm and save some $$$ in the long run.

Cold_Under_Here:
Have many peopled used these semi-dry suits? What are your thoughts? Are they much warmer than wets and less cumbersome than drys?...etc.
I dive in 2-6 C Canadian waters... Give me your experiences and opinions. ie. Should I considered trying one?

cheers!! :D

I have a pair of the Mares Isotherms......while they are a nice suit, comfy and well made, the 6.5mm is not sufficient for 2-6 degree water for times longer then 20-25 minutes. Above the 12c mark, they are wonderful and love them.....below that it's just like any other wet suit.

The real advantage of the semi's is the reduced amount of water that flushes in/out of the suit due to the dry suit like zipper and seals at the wrist, neck and ankles. My problem is that I don't get any water in at all and thus have to rely solely on the 6mm to keep me warm, you go to depth.....well you know the rest.

As mentioned, if you can, get an entry level Dry suit and you can dive that with a lot more comfort.

I have a XXL Scubapro S-Tek semi-dry and used it for diving in Lake Superior. This dive was on the Smith Moore in 38 degree water. The suit kept me very warm, of course this suit has a very nice set of seals at the wrists and ankles. These seals are very similar to what you might see on a drysuit. Both have zippered areas to make the suit easier to don and doff. While I liked the suit it was a major pita to don and doff, the silver skin made the suit stick to your skin. I finally purchased a dive skin and it did make it easier to don and doff.

But alas while searching this board a diver from Michigan who was built just like me had a custom Andy's that fit me like I had ordered it myself. I couldn't pass up the deal which included the custom under garment as well. I can't imagine myself ever using the 7 mill again as I will just adjust my underwear per the conditions. If you are interested I will let the suit go for a very reasonable price. New the suit was $330 US funds, so semi dry's are not cheap if you have to buy them new. The suit has 6 dives on it and looks like brand new.

Mitten Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom