Why not tropical dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am looking for input on my options in dry suits. I'm looking for a dry suit that is appropriate for tropical diving but can also be used for diving off North Carolina in spring... any thoughts on why a tropical dry suit would not be appropriate for such a dual use?

You might try a shell with a T shirt for an undergarmet while in tropical temps and proper undergarmets for cold environments. I've been thinking of trying this for checking out my repair work but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Well, that's really my question I guess - a suit is either dry or not but what makes a cold water dry suit different from a tropical dry suit?

zboss:
Hi Folks,

I am looking for input on my options in dry suits. I'm looking for a dry suit that is appropriate for tropical diving but can also be used for diving off North Carolina in spring... any thoughts on why a tropical dry suit would not be appropriate for such a dual use?

Based on the Suits I've seen, tropical dry suits are lightweight, may not have foot pockets, and can be packed light for travel.

There is nothing to prevent one from diving any drysuit in tropical conditions sans the undergarment.

I'm sure my BARE nex-gen would be fine diving dry in the tropics if I just wore a tee shirt, and short underneith.

I just purchased the Bare XCD2-tech dry suit. It is hypercrushed neoprene, so it's not the thinnest suit (although, not thick by any means). Anyway, my first time putting it on was at a local indoor swim club. The pool must have been in the mid-80's. I wore a t-shirt and shorts under the suit and was very comfortable... not too hot. The suit was leaking a bit, but I don't think it would have made much difference.

I haven't seen the tri-lam suits to compare thickness, but they have to be thinner. So, I guess I would attempt diving dry in the tropics.

Chris

zboss:
Well, that's really my question I guess - a suit is either dry or not but what makes a cold water dry suit different from a tropical dry suit?

I haven't seen the dry suits that are specifically tropical but if it really is geared for 80 degree water then it may not work well in the cold later.

Without a thermal undergarmet most shells probably would work fine. You might also run less air into it. If you really started to overheat, you could always pop the seal. You could always try one on indoors and see if you get too warm.

DUI makes a drysuit is specifically for tropical diving - The 30/30 Latitude. The material it is made out of is more "breathable" than their other fabrics. Although depending on what type of diving you're in NC, it may not be durable enough.

Alternatively, you can get a TLS350 and probably effectively use it for warm or cold water by varying the undergarments as others have mentioned. Plus, you can get it in Signature and women's sizes if that is what you're after unlike the 30/30.

I tried it in Florida with my Mobby's drysuit (it's an inner laminate of som sort with a nylon outer layer, and I wore my thin Weezle underwear. IT was a little too warm, but not unbearable.

I suspect that a pair of very light sweats would work perfectly. I don't think I'd use shorts, since it tends to give "drysuit hickeys" on bare skin.

Another nice thing is that except for the space between your mask and hood, you're pretty much immune to any small or microscopic disagreeable things that happens to be in the water.

The only bad part is that you'll get strange looks from some of the other divers.

Terry

zboss:
Hi Folks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom