neo or latex neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjchandler

Contributor
Reaction score
I have to get a new drysuit. I've always used latex seals but now I seem to be faced with a choice again. What are the pro/cons of neoprene neck seals? Do they last longer? Do they fit some neck types better than others?

rjchandler:
I have to get a new drysuit. I've always used latex seals but now I seem to be faced with a choice again. What are the pro/cons of neoprene neck seals? Do they last longer? Do they fit some neck types better than others?

Neoprene seals leak. Latex do not.

Despite the popular belief that all neoprene neck seals leak. I have yet to experience a leak in mine.

Mine is designed with a smooth sking surface on the outside that you fold back in against your neck. The seal is rather long so you end up with about a 4 inch band of smooth skin neoprene folded in against your neck. It seals just fine and keeps me warm in the frigid waters of the Great Lakes.

Latex, when properly fitted, provides less chance for leaks. But has the following draw backs: often worn too tight for fear of cutting off too many rings and ruining the seal, colder than neoprene as it provides no insulation and more easily torn or cut.

There are multiple threads discussing/arguing these points if you feel like doing some searching.

We put a lot of Neoprene seals on our shell style suits. The general feed back is that they last longer, but that on skinnier people, the wrist tend to leak more around the tendon area and that people with real skinny necks have problems with tucking the neoprene. Neoprene is also more expensive to put on and to replace. My suggestion is to go to your LDS and try on a suit that has Neoprene seals and one that has latex and see what you like better.

Rec Diver:
Neoprene seals leak. Latex do not.

Common misconception. Quite untrue.

It's 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other ....... Unless

1) you're alergic to latex, in which case you need to go with neoprene

2) you're really skinny, in which case neoprene tends to not seal as well

For the rest:

Neoprene is warmer and tougher but takes a little practice to fold it correctly.

Latex is less work but is easier to damage and can be cold if the water is very cold.

R..

I've used both neo and latex neck seals and prefer the neo. It's warmer. For wrists, I definitely prefer heavy duty latex seals.

I have used both and prefer neoprene, especially for the neck seal.

With a neoprene neck seal you can get a better and more comfrotable seal that will not leak if you twist youe neck to far one way or look straight up - you cannot say the same thing for latex.

The extremely limited insulation of a latex seal also causes a great deal of heat loss given the presence of the large arteries and veins just below the skin in the neck and the fact that the body never reduces flow of blood to the head (although the actions of some divers will make you question this from time to time.) In really cold water you need a neck warmer of some type with a latex seal, while with a neopren seal it is built in.

I have not had problems with neoprene wrist seals but people with prominent tendons sometimes do, especially when pinching their thumb and pinky together.

In addition to the skin out/fold over variety, neoprene seals can also be had in a skin in variety. They have half the bulk and do not generally leak with skinny wrists. But they require a lubricant like K-Y to get on easily and can burp air out the seal if you do not have the cuff of a glove adding a little pressure over them and you raise your arm straight up.

It is generally really hard to tear a neoprene seal, I did manage to tear a neoprene neck seal once but this was due to a defect in the seal (the seam was not taped on the inside). However, unlike a latex neck seal would have been, it was simple to repair in a few minutes with neoprene adhesive and was ready to dive (and properly taped) the next day.

In my opinion, the only clear advantages with latex are for persons with latex allergies and for persons who prefer to use dry gloves as most (effective) dry glove ring systems require a latex seal.

fwiw, i have latex wrist and neoprene neck, i really like the neoprene neck as its a good seal and comfotable. i always felt like i was choking when the latex was tight enought to seal.
in general i have no leaking from th neck seal. maybe the occational dribble, but nothing to get in a twist over.

my wrist seals are latex, but i use drive gloves so no choice there.

I love my Neoprene seal on the neck,comfy and warm,No Leaks and if its snug at night prior to dive strech over your tank neck,Latex seem's way to tight on my first rental!
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom