Very cold water hood options? for Dry suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtsidford

Reaction score
I'm hoping to dive all winter this year without traveling to warmer waters. Although I'll be hitting the keys in December anyway to see the Speigal's new layout. I'd also like to try some ice diving (supervised/class session first of course)
My head protection is my current thermal concern as I own a new Dui CF200 drysuit w/ zipseal dry gloves, so the rest of me should be warm.
I do not have the zip seal latex hood and am wondering if it is better for cold water diving? Will the latex hood keep your head dry? If so can you where a fleece hood underneath? Would you recommend it?
At the beginning of the season this year I borrowed my buddy/instructers microprene hood for a second layer which was helpful in the 42 deg water I was diving in. I liked it and will go that root but feel something thicker may be better for the sub 40 deg I'm planning on in the heart of winter.
I'm considering henderson's 3 mil insta-dry hood and henderson's gold core hood as a second layer to be worn beneath my current Dui hood? What do you think?
I already own an ice cap that I used during my wetsuit days with success and will try regardless of the posts I receive.
What would you recommend for me? Thank you for your help. Sid

I use a 6/7mm neoprene hood in temps down into the 30s, and it works just fine.

Good fit. Holes in to the top to release trapped air.

There's nothing like an attached dryhood for keeping you warm... and dry.
They make little Thinsulate "Snoopy Hats" to wear under the latex hoods, or at least that's what Viking includes with their suits.
You should be able to find a useful substitute at places that sell "construction worker" clothes, they call them "hardhat liners" though they may need to be trimmed to allow for proper sealing of the hood around the face.

It always amazes me to see folks dive a drysuit with a wet head. :11:

I have a 7mm hood from Otter Bay (out of CA) amazing hood. super warm. They also make a 12mm hood that I am thinking of getting. Last winter I got as a gift a ice cape from Henderson - it is very warm.

Good Luck
Eric

I use the Bare Tech-Dry neoprene hood. Keeps me warm, but the neoprene around the jaw area is so tight, that it causes me fatigue if I zip the hood all the way down. I guess I just need to trim it a bit.

Back
Top Bottom