Latex or Neoprene Neck Seal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stoddu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm geting ready to order a Bare XCD2 Tech dry suit and am trying to figure out which type of neck seal to get. I'm a recreational diver and I do turn my head to look at things. Which one seals better? What are the advantages of each type?

Thanks,
Steve

This has been discussed here before. You should be able to search for "neoprene versus latex" and find a bunch of stuff.

I am personally partial to latex seals, but there are differing opinions.

If you choose incorrectly you can always get the other kind installed.

Peter

Latex - Less bother then neoprene, less prone to leaks but more prone to tears
Neoprene - More bother and more prone to leaks but less prone to tears

I've dove with both and I'd rather use latex. With a little TLC, a neck seal can go for a long time.

My buddies with neopreme neck seals seem to have leaks when they look around too much. I use latex as does my wife. She gets a rash from it so she uses a bioseal and things are perfect :)

Very much down to personal experience, but I prefer the comfort of a neoprene seal over latex. I don't find I get any leaks, no matter how much I look around, and I don't find them any more bother than latex. I have neoprene wrist seals too.

Sometimes the weather in the UK can be downright lousy for the entire day, and I can get into my suit first thing in the morning and stay in it till last thing at night and not have to worry. None of my buddies who wear suits with latex seals on the neck and wrists can stay in their suits that long without having some discomfort – the first thing they usually do on exiting the water and de-kitting is to get their head and arms out of the suits and leave the top hanging around their waist from the braces. Having said that, you will also find devotees of latex, so...

Horses for courses, I'm afraid.

Mark

Used both, I prefer latex seals. have to be cut at the right size though. not too tight (strangling feeling) and not too loose (leaks). another advantage (for DUI drysuits at least) are ziplock style seals. These seals you can change yourself in less than a minute so it can save a dive.

But of course, neoprene has it's quality

Eric

I have a XCD2 Tech with neoprene neck and latex wrist seals. I have dove latex neck seals and greatly prefer neoprene. Mine has never leaked, is very warm and very comfortable. I suspect that neoprene got its reputation for leaking from earlier versions. The one that is available with the Bare suits is a great seal. Try it you will love it.

Are the neoprene seals a single layer like a latex or do they fold over and become a double seal? I have a double seal type of neoprene in my suit and there aren't any issues with leaks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom