.5MM Wetsuit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

I noticed that there are .5mm wetsuits for divers. I could not find any that thin made by surfing manufacturers. I am a surfer and I was wondering would it be bearable for me to wear one in tropical waters while I am surfing? For instance, like in indonesia or anywhere else where the water is warm?

Thanks so much and I appreciate your input.

Ricky

Ricky, your comfort is entirely subjective, but I can tell you that my "tropical weight" .5mm suit (ScubaPro) was my first suit and still my favorite, mainly because of its comfort and flexibility. It's perfect for me for water temps down to mid-70's. However, I seem to be somewhat warm-natured, as I'm comfortable without a wetsuit in water down to 78/79 deg. Obviously, all our bodies are different, though.

Can you rent one to try?

--Wayne

the .5 of scuba pro is both great. I use it around 6 or 7 months a year, as the red sea is mostly worm. too bad SP stoped the .5 shorty that is perfect for the may to september perod.
anyone knows who else makes .5 shorties?

Ricky,

Fellow Surfer here, you are right, there isn't any surf company that makes a skin suit, but I think you will find the .5mm skins made by any diving company pretty comparable to a full rash guard. Durable enough to take a beating with the surfwax. Another thought would be to get a hotskin jacket made by Ripcurl. Have you seen those? They are really warm and it allows you to trunk it, and keep your core warm. Here is a link to their site... http://www.ripcurl.com/products/gal...ategoryid=243&text=&imageid=622&box=&shownew=. Just another option to think about.

My 0.5mm is a Sherwood Skin. Works great for protection, dries very quickly. Not too hot like a suit, either. I wear it in warm waters in FL, just to keep the creatures off.

Back
Top Bottom