My wetsuit, my wetsuit. My kingdom for a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
What is the benefit of a 2 piece vs a single; say a farmer john/jacket vs a full suit?
Basically, by going with a say 7 mil farmer john suit, you are essentially covering your torso with 14 mil of insulation. Using a one piece 7 mil, you only have the one layer, therefore only 7 mils. Bob

Well, if it is a 7mm suit the difference is that it sucks twice to get dress, vs once for the one piece! LOL

2 piece is supposed to be warmer, and the shop will say you can use each piece by itself, but that does not work all that well.

I have gone to a drysuit if it is that cold......

DivingCRNA:
Well, if it is a 7mm suit the difference is that it sucks twice to get dress, vs once for the one piece! LOL

2 piece is supposed to be warmer, and the shop will say you can use each piece by itself, but that does not work all that well.

I have gone to a drysuit if it is that cold......
It has been my experience that using the two piece separately poses 2 problems: by wearing just the "bibs" without the jacket, I am extremely tail light due to increased buoyancy in my legs. Using the Jacket by itself is too loose around my legs which lets too much water in at once. It is possible though to mix and match say a 5mil bib with a 7 mil jacket which might help you not to get quite so overheated in the middle of he summer on a shallow fresh water dive as wearing a 7 and 7. Diving CRNA has a point though.. they are a bit of a nuisance to don, and the idea of diving wet in the throes of winter are not as appealing to me as if I owned a dry suit. Saving my pennies! Hope this helps....Bob

hmmm.... well, i have used my 3mil farmer john individually before, and
haven't had much trouble.

my suit fits well, so there's no issue of additional seepage when i wear just the
shorty. that's my favorite configuration for diving in the Caribbean, as it
covers my armpits, chest, and crotch.

i have worn just the pants/bib section many times, with a skin covering my top,
and i haven't noticed much effect to my trim. if there were, i'd just move
my bp/wings on the tank to compensate.

also, with the two parts together, you do get the benefit of 6mil on your chest
and crotch, which is nice

H2Andy... What is useful in Florida and the Carribean may not be so in Colorodo and Rhode Island. Like all things scuba what works for you works for you. I have seen a lot of John jackets that did not have good leg closure or torso fit when worn alone so it's someting you need to watch for when trying suits on.

To the OP....

I prefer a full suit (1PC) that will jive you a complete membrane over your body. Add to that an appropriate vest. Either a 3mill hooded chicken vest (worn under) or a 7mm hooded step-in shorty (worn over) when it really gets cold. When that's not enough it is surely drysuit time. The step-in gives you the same 14mm on the core as the john/jacket combo.

The vests do 3 key things. First the firm a labyrinth seal for your backzipper. This means you will never get that cold shot of water on your spine. Second they give great closure to the neck opening. Layering as always is helpful. I also like the fact that you don't have to fuss with a hood's bib leaving you with 3 layers of rubber around your collar bone. If it's really that mild skip the vests and wear a beanie.

Pete

H2Andy:
hmmm.... well, i have used my 3mil farmer john individually before, and
haven't had much trouble.

my suit fits well, so there's no issue of additional seepage when i wear just the
shorty. that's my favorite configuration for diving in the Caribbean, as it
covers my armpits, chest, and crotch.

i have worn just the pants/bib section many times, with a skin covering my top,
and i haven't noticed much effect to my trim. if there were, i'd just move
my bp/wings on the tank to compensate.

also, with the two parts together, you do get the benefit of 6mil on your chest
and crotch, which is nice
H2Andy,
Hear ya on your 3 mil. The problem in the top fit could just be my body style, fit well last season using together. ......the significant change in buoyancy I imagine is the difference from 3 mil to 7 mil. But anyway...something to look out for. BC

I went another direction. I went with the Pinnacle Polar semi-dry suit.

It was explained to me that, while a 2-piece suit has more rubber and more insulation, the drawback is that it is relatively easy for water to leak in and out of the suit between the two pieces. Conversely, a good semi-dry locks out almost all of the water, and keeps the warm water trapped into the suit. Even though it has less rubber and less insulation, it can do a better job. Nice side benefits are less buoyancy and greater mobility.

The one that I bought won the Tester's Choice award from Scuba Diving Magazine a few months ago. I've used it in water as cold as 48 degrees for 45 minutes and really been happy.

spectrum:
H2Andy... What is useful in Florida and the Carribean may not be so in Colorodo and Rhode Island. Like all things scuba what works for you works for you.

yep yep... just giving additional perspective

costi:
The problem in the top fit could just be my body style, fit well last season using together. ......

yep, the advantage of a bunch of people chiming in is that you get to see
cumulative experience at work

If you go with a one peice you can add a hooded vest for an extra layer if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom