Drysuit for Short/Stocky People

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unproductive

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for a drysuit for diving in the New York City area, so wrecks etc... I am only 5'6'' but my chest is 42" waist 29'' hips 38'' so I am having problems with sizes. I would like to go with a stock size if at all possible. Don't care neo or tri. Do any brands offer this type of cut, I heard DUI is sometimes bigger. Could I just get a size that fits the chest and hips but will be baggy on the waist? Thanks

-Justin

I don't know about the others but I can tell you that stock in DUI isn't going to work for you. I have similiar measurements but am a few inches taller and I use a stock large DUI tls350. The suit fits a bit baggy but with thick undies it is fine. The leg length is the biggest problem but it works out for me for the most part as I just fold the extra material over my rock boots and I have no problems. You would have even more material folded over than me and that would start to be too much IMHO. The suit would also fit even more baggy in the middle on you as you are skinnier that me by a few inches too.

Too bad they don't make a short/large. Bare does seem to have a wider range of stock sizes though so good luck. I still suggest the few hundred extra for the custom fit from any brand. I am guessing you lift weights with that build? Good luck!

Yeah I lift a bit, so I would like a little extra room for some growth, if I go with bare, do you think its is best to go with a neopreme to allow for a little stretch?

-Justin

WaTeRwEaSeL:
Yeah I lift a bit, so I would like a little extra room for some growth, if I go with bare, do you think its is best to go with a neopreme to allow for a little stretch?

-Justin

That is a tough one Justin. Many factors to consider. I find that bag suits are more forgiving in tearms of allowing for room to grow and for a wide variety of undergarment thickness. If you have to buy a suit that is a little big, you will probably be better of in a trilam type suit.

As for neoprene being stretchy, that really depends on the type of neoprene. Some make thick neoprene suits that can be almost hard like a 7mm wet suit and you wouldn't be able to fold over extra material like you can with a bag suit like the TLS350. Also, neoprene suits don't require undies as thick as a bag suit so fit becomes more important in some respects. Some also have crushed neoprene and that material is more forgiving in tearms of baginess and can act a little more like a bag suit. All that said, neoprene from one company can feel very dif. than it does from another. I really like the DUI crushed neo suits. Thin, flexible, tough, and a bit warmer than the DUI bag suits. I have never used a Bare suit, but they look great to me! If you aren't going to travel with your suit and dive mostly with it up here in the NE, then I do suggest you take a long look at all the neoprene suits as they are warmer and a bit more durable for our waters.

The reality is, if possible, you will have to see these suits and then make a decision. Have you taken a dry suit class? That is a great way to rent and test out some suits while learning more about them. That way, you will be making decisions based on experience and not just on what you read. I do suggest taking your time with the purchase for obvious reasons. It's expensive and if you don't get a suit you love and that fits, you will never be truly happy diving dry. Good luck, hope this helps!

A drysuit is an expensive purchase that will last hopefully numerous years.
IMHO, it's worth to spend couple hundred $$ more and get yourself a custom suit that fits than struggle with a suit that doesn't fit and will just make you not like it. Sooner rather than later you'll want to replace it and then you'll have spent more in the end. YMMV

OTOH, BARE makes a lot of different sizes and if you fit in one, then more power to you.

If you're set on a DUI, try to find out where and when the next Demo-Days in your area will be and go there. Try couple of different suits and you'll know for yourself whether they fit you.

Justin,

My build is similar: 5'8"Height
44"Chest
32" inseam
32" Waist

I tried/ordered the Bare HD Tech (Trilam) in extra large short and you won’t fit trust me. Trained in a DUI shell and the Large was baggy with thin undergarments. I ended up with the Bare HD Tech in Xlarge. With that said best bet is to rent a few and check out the sizes.

Things to consider size wise are arm length if you go with the cuff rings set up and thickness of undergarment. Even same size/same manufacture suits will vary slightly.

IMHO the best price I found for Bare was from Richard at Divetank.com. very classy operation.

Mike

WaTeRwEaSeL:
Hi,
I am looking for a drysuit for diving in the New York City area, so wrecks etc... I am only 5'6'' but my chest is 42" waist 29'' hips 38'' so I am having problems with sizes. I would like to go with a stock size if at all possible. Don't care neo or tri. Do any brands offer this type of cut, I heard DUI is sometimes bigger. Could I just get a size that fits the chest and hips but will be baggy on the waist? Thanks

-Justin
You might PM Tampico_ED. He had a brand new TLS350 that was a large except the inseam was shorter than typical. I am 5'11" and it was about 4 inches too short for me, but the chest was right and 42" is my size. Not sure if he still has it, though.

Some of the DUI's come in a short model. But with your measurements, I think you might have to get a custom. Good luck. THe best thing to do is to go to a scuba show where there are a lot of drysuit manufacturers and try on a bunch of suits...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom