BARE Dry glove system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use those golves for commercial fishing when its cold, the lighter weight orange ones when it's not so cold. They are very tough and cheap to replace. Two kinds of liners are sold for them, a bulky cotton one at a buck a pair or thinner thinsulate ones at four bucks a pair. Thinsulate is worth the extra money as they fit so much better but the cottons might work better underwater as they wold not compress as much.

Hey Wildcard,

Did you use the quick clamp system or not? I wanted to get zip seals, but my suit would be gone for about a month, but the BARE quick clamp somehow clamps on to my existing wrist seal on my suit...so Im trying that.

I really havent seen anyone say anything about. :)

J

Sorry, no anwers here but hey, I didn't know this option was out there. I, too, am not willing to part with my drysuit for a month so...let us know how they fare or perhaps, I'll run into you at Haigh to get your insight.

Yeah, I am pretty skeptical..because quick clamp to me refers to some kind of a clamp on my wrist which cuts off circulation to the hands. Certainly they wouldnt design something like this as that is pointless. BARE's website has hardly no information on this...im going to check again..i would like a diagram or something.

They look similar to the Si-Tech system, or the others that are out there. There is probably a cuff that uses a compression fitting to attach to your latex wrist seals-this doesn't cut circulation off, and is a fairly common method of mounting dry gloves to your suit. The gloves then pressure fit into the cuffs, forming a seal (usually with an o-ring on the glove side of things).

As for the actual gloves, they are cheap, easy to replace and available at places like www.seamar.com or your local hardware store. Atlas is the brand name, and the models divers use are either the 495 (which come with a thick, separate liner and are sized a bit larger than others) or the 660s or 620s.

It is the Si-Tech system, spanner ring inside seal, docking ring outside seal. Same deal inside outside glove, they work as well as anything else is what I hear. I'm liking the convenience of the Viking rings myself but still using my Si-Techs off-and-on, as dexterity suffered terribly the gloves are so big.

Thanks for the information and link! Very helpful and hurtful knowing I paid 100.00 for DUI's Dry 5 gloves and one glove costs 12.00 through your link. All they did was put their name on it and attached a latex seal.

CD_in_Chitown:
I'm liking the convenience of the Viking rings myself but still using my Si-Techs off-and-on, as dexterity suffered terribly the gloves are so big.

If dexterity is an issue, replace the 495 insulated gloves that come with the SI-Tech system with either a 620 or a 660 and a cheap, wool liner glove from your local army surplus store. The 620/660 (same glove, the 660 is a little thicker and more chemical resistant) is actually a different glove than the 495s because the latter is meant to be worn with those thick liners. I used a large in the 495 and it was like wearing balloons on my hands, I went to a XL 620 and it fit great (I sized up because they are meant to be worn without liners).

When I made this switch it made doing mundane everyday tasks such as clipping off my SPG (or unclipping it) much more like not wearing gloves. Huge difference.

From my understanding, the quick clamps do not clamp around your wrist. I plan on getting them when I order. The gloves themselves are great. Fished them in -20 weather, no not wind chill, and they remained flexable and dry. I used to buy them by the dozen. I dont rember the exact price but it was only a couple of buck a pair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom