Water temperatures and thickness of Wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian.Bergh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

How warm should the water be before a 5mm wetsuit is warm enough?

Brian,
That is one of the unsloved mysteries of scuba diving.
The thermal protection requirement varies greatly from one diver to the next.

Perhaps you should ask how "cold" the water would be to require the use of a 5mm suit.

I'm cold natured. Mid 60's would be my comfort zone with a 5mm.

the K

how thick a wetsuit do I need is a question with a subjective answer, it depends on you. in general I consider a 3mm to be for water that I would be perfectly willing to swim in for an extended period without insulation. a 5mm is for temps that I'd take a quick dip without, and a 7mm is for temps that I would not swim un protected.

Thx. Its that the water 2 minutes away from my house is about 12-13 degress celcius (54F). would just wanna know if my 5mm was enough. which i can see is not for you.

But here in scandinavia i dont think the water ever reach mid 60'sF anyway excpet the top feet layer of water a few days each year.

It's definitely a personal issue, 54 degrees is usually pretty comfortable in a 5mm with hood and gloves for someone who is used to getting into cold water. When you start thinking that temp is a bit too chilly go down below the thermocline for a few minutes then come back up into the 54 degree water. My students have been diving 5mm suits all spring, after the water got warmer than 50 degrees they were pretty happy campers.

It's definitely a temperature that is worth an attempt in your 5mm suit. You can always get out.
Ber :lilbunny:
PS, I moved this to the exposure suits section so people searching for this type of information can find it easier.

got gloves and hood+boots+thermal socks so i will go try i think. is it not also about the quality of the wetsuit and how good it fit you? i got a BodyGlove 5mm set. i dont really know if thats a good brand/quality.

A good fitting suit makes all the difference. I haven't had any experience with the BodyGlove suits. The deeper you go the more the neoprene compresses causing any wetsuit to provide less insulation. A student's dad dove with us and had a 7mm Henderson hyper-dry, he didn't even get wet except from his wrists to elbows and his ankles to his knees. He's a self proclaimed warm water wussy and he said he was comfortable in the 40 degree (F) water at 90 feet.
Ber :lilbunny:

Brian.Bergh:
Thx. Its that the water 2 minutes away from my house is about 12-13 degress celcius (54F). would just wanna know if my 5mm was enough. which i can see is not for you.

But here in scandinavia i dont think the water ever reach mid 60'sF anyway excpet the top feet layer of water a few days each year.
That's too cold for me too. I'd have my drysuit out for that.

Walter:
I don't even own a 5 mil suit. I have a 3/2 and a 7.

Maybe you should increase your instructor rates !!! :D

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom