Bare Wetsuit Question (New Diver has Question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronniemu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Less then a year ago I purchased a Bare 5 mil wetsuit. It was used less then 10 times and always rinsed well. I noticed that on both legs near the zipper, some of the threads are coming up and unraveling. Is this common. Can it be easily fixed.

Thanks in advanced for your input!

Ronnie :11doh:

Bare makes a great suit for the money. I have a lot of their stuff. The one weakness I have experienced and heard from others is how they secure the end of the stitching runs. I ended up putting a little drop of SEAM GRIP on mine when I started having the same problems. This is a product used for sealing tent stitching and it dries to form a very flexible tank point. Wetsuit cement is also commmonly used for this. Just wait until it's dry and do every end point you can find.

Other than that I have had no problems with the stitching in general. I like their features designs and the way their cut fits me.

Pete

Thanks for the information you provided using seam grip. Their suits fit me great because of my short and muscular size. I was surprise seeing the threads unraveling.

Ronnie

You should be able to send it to the manufacturer and get it repaired, most honor their warranties, and will repair for free on glue and stiching...my ALEEDA wetsuit , which I had for 13 yrs now, finally failed me in the Caribbean, and after I contacted them via email, they were happy to repair it for free and send it back...along with my new custon 3/2 suit....good luck, see ya` under

The Bare wetsuit is 11 months ago and has only 1 more month left on the warranty. I was told that I could send it back for free repairs. My problem is, I only have one wetsuit. The diving season here on Long Island is short and I need my wetsuit for a couple of months. Some knowledgeable friends of this forum, suggested that I could apply seam grip (seam seal) on the defective area. My wife can sew well and offered to re-sew the area where the stitches are unraveling and then apply the seam seal. My questions are:

1) Do I need special thread?

2) Has anyone repair there wetsuit and if so could you offer your advice?

3) If you own a Bare wetsuit are you having the same problem?

Ronniemu:
The Bare wetsuit is 11 months ago and has only 1 more month left on the warranty. I was told that I could send it back for free repairs. My problem is, I only have one wetsuit. The diving season here on Long Island is short and I need my wetsuit for a couple of months. Some knowledgeable friends of this forum, suggested that I could apply seam grip (seam seal) on the defective area. My wife can sew well and offered to re-sew the area where the stitches are unraveling and then apply the seam seal. My questions are:

A Shoe Repair Shop can stitch them up real nicely.

Try taking it to your local tailor. They're easy enough to fix. As for it being a common problem, well....I have owned a Bare wetsuit and a dry suit and have had no problems with either one and would quickly recommend them to anyone for the value. But that's just my experience. I have a friend who bought a brand new Oceanic suit while in Bonaire, only to do one dive and have a blow out in the leg. I know this isn't indicitive of Oceanic's quality. So wetsuit stitching issues aren't "uncommon", let's put it that way. But as far as being common to one brand over another, not that I'm aware of.

Ronniemu:

1) Nylon uppostry or carpet thread is a good choice. Strong and rot proof.

2) Remember that the suit is blind-stitched meaning the stitching does not penetrate the suit. Sewing by hand with a hooked (darning?) needle works well. Pinching the seam up and sewing across with a straight needle will also work.

3) As noted, yes I have. If dealt with prompty no sewing is needed and the repair takes less time than going to the UPS counter to ship it. The suit is ready to dive the next day.

Remember that most of the suits strength comes from the cemented joint. If you have only dropped a few stitches just cement them down so you don't loose any more. The stitching ends usually run back over themselves and sometimes there is enough loose thread to knot it off in the existing stitching.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom