Drysuit: Shell or Neoprene?

shell or neoprene

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjundvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For us drysuit divers out there it seemes that the never ending argument tends to be Shell or Neoprene. So what do you use? Along with that if you dive a neoprene suit what is the thickness of the neoprene?

I myself wear an apollo 4mm neoprene suit. My reasoning is rather simple.
1) cost: My suit only cost me $800us VS. over $1000 for a decent shell
2) Fit: I have tried several shell suits and to me they all feel like i was diving with a parachute. My neoprene fits like a glove and dives like a wetsuit.
3) Do not have to wear very much in the way of undergarments. I wear a pair of polar tech fleece pants and a fleece jacket and that is only if the water is below 52F otherwise pair of shorts and long sleeve shirt.

So what is every one else wearing and why?

I dive a dui cf 200 with 400 gram undies form 27deg to 55
200 gram for 56to70
and just swets for anything else

I dont like neoprean suits there to bulky cut you mobility down crushed noeprean like the cf 200 is small enpoph not to be combersom and streches enoph to reach you valves and do a shut down

I've been happy with my inexpensive shell Bare Nex-Gen bith the CT200 undies. I've been happy under the ice, in Lake Michigan and in warmer waters as well. I do notice considerable drag compared to diving wet, but I figure that's the trade off.

Diving Concepts Ultimate custom tri-lam shell. I prefer the shell because:

* Lighter weight out of the water.

* No compression at depth.

* Easy to dry (neoprene takes forever). Just wipe it out and dive.

* Greater levels of insulation with layering.

i've dove trilams, 7mm neoprene, and a whites 4mm crushed neo. hands down i'll take the 4mm crushed suit over any other.. each one does have it's own peticular advantages, but for flat out duriblity, ruggedness, warmth, less weight on my belt,comfort, strechability, absolutley the 4mm crushed. IT IS A VERY HEAVY SUIT!!! (weight wise) it wasn't cheap either, but any thing worth having isn't cheap!!! i'd buy another one in a heart beat when and if i EVER need another drysuit. ken

I wear a DUI CLX 450 with the heavier DUI Actionwear jumpsuit and Thinsulate booties for diving in the Great Lakes and quarries. I generally wear some lightweight Capiline long johns underneath it all. Water temp at depth is usually 45-55F, sometimes a little colder. I never really considered a conventional neoprene suit. I was pretty much set on a DUI suit and they don't offer one. The crushed neoprene is really durable, but heavy and takes a long time to dry. I found the CLX 450 very comfortable and a good compromise between lighter trilams like the TLS 350 and the neoprene suits.

I'm happy with my Andies DS1 tri-lam w/latex seals. Nothing fancy, just a basic inexpensive suit that keeps my dry. I've tried neoprene but prefer the lighter weight (suit and belt) of the shell.

I am using a Diving Concepts compressed Neoprene suit. I picked this up after owning a OS systems shell suit.

The OS suit I had was quite baggy expecially in the legs so it required a lot more venting, but it was super light and did dry fast.

I am sure a shell custom suit would be a nice option, but my Diving Concepts fits perfect and really traps minimal air -- and no leaks.:D

I use the Bare Nex Gen trilam and so far I love it.

Mike

I had nothing but problems with my seasoft neoprene....finally had my first dive with my DUI....and I love it. Not sure I will ever dive wet again...may want to get a 30/30 for my warm water trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom