Dry suit neck rash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYC-Diver

Reaction score
Last week, my dry suit gave me rash all around my neck.

It looked like I tried to hang myself. What causes this? I'm guessing I didnt rinse out the seal well enough and some salt had dried there, but is there anything else that could have caused it?

It hasn't happened before and my wrists are fine, so I'm guessing it wasn't an allergic reaction to the latex.

How many dives did you do? I just did a 3 day liveaboard and ALL of the drysuit divers had a rash/chafed skin on their necks by the end of the trip...

Missy, you may have an acquired latex allergy (small chance from what you have written). It is more likely micro hemorrhages from chafing and continued abrasion from the neck seal. It is prolly ust unsightly. . .BUT if you have difficulty breathing or the rash spreads, time to visit your primary care physician/ER.

Tevis

Yea latex seals tend to do that when doing alot of repetitive dives. Usualy clears up in a few days. If it spreds do see the Dr and you may be alergic to latex, as was said in a previous post said.

NYC-Diver:
Last week, my dry suit gave me rash all around my neck.

It looked like I tried to hang myself. What causes this? I'm guessing I didnt rinse out the seal well enough and some salt had dried there, but is there anything else that could have caused it?

It hasn't happened before and my wrists are fine, so I'm guessing it wasn't an allergic reaction to the latex.

Could be your seals are old and need replacing. Exact same thing has happened to me and I am sending mine in for new seals.

I used mine for about 6 months, including a 5 day class with no problems. Then the very next week (and ever since) the neck rash has been present.

The latex breaks down and becomes sticky over time and will chafe you.

How many dives do you have on the seals?

Bio Seal may be an alternative for you.... I don't use one, but I know several people that have the same issue you describe and they have found relief with the bio seal.

Archangel:
Missy, you may have an acquired latex allergy (small chance from what you have written). It is more likely micro hemorrhages from chafing and continued abrasion from the neck seal. It is prolly ust unsightly. . .BUT if you have difficulty breathing or the rash spreads, time to visit your primary care physician/ER.

Tevis

I don't think 20 people all acquired a latex allergy on our trip lol.. We just had the constant rubbing of the latex against our necks, which chafed the skin somewhat.. (we did a LOT of diving..)..:D

dannobee:
Could still be an allergic reaction though. I dive with a woman who has that problem, she ended up using a bio seal to fix it. No more rash.

I thought the bio-seal ate the latex and you could only use it with neoprene seals. No?

Back
Top Bottom