Wearing a hooded vest over/under wetsuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snowmaker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a 5/4 Bare wetsuit and need something a little warmer for some of my dives. I was looking at the Bare 7/6 wetsuit and their 6mm hooded vest. My 5/4 fits me good but I have big shoulders and I have trouble getting it zipped with andthing under it. Can I wear the Bare hooded vest over the wetsuit. I was thinking of getting the vest one size larger so it will fit.

What is the differance between the Bare arctic and velocity 7/6 wetsuits. Is the arctic as stretchy.

Thanks

I just bought the Bare Alpine hooded 7mm full suit...haven't gotten it wet yet, but I tried it on...I really like it! The nice thing is that the zipper zips up the neck to the chin (off to the side), so it's one piece and when you unzip it, the hood automatically releases away from the neck.

The Arctic (I own) is a full 7mm full suit with the exception of a small football patch of thinner material inside the elbows. It is nylon lined inside and out and is a dandy suit with wrist and calf seals. While the Velocity series has more stretch my Arctic has all of the stretch required for non nosense donning if fit correctly.

The Velocity series (I own a 5/4) is a hybrid stretch suit. Much of the suit is common neoprene with some of the stretchier material around the shoulders and a very forgiving panel down at the small of the back.

The new 7/6 suits are just sacrificing 1mm of material in some comfort zones. They try to give you the durability and superior warmth of conventional material while using the more forgiving materials where they really help.

If your suit is almost what you need then a hooded vest of some sort is probably the ticket. They will mute the seepage from the back zipper so you will never feel that as directly cold water. They also close off the neck opening to any direct entry.

There are 2 basic styles. One is often called a chicken vest (duno why) these start at the waist and have an integrated hood. They are most effective when worn under your full suit since the Bare version has a rubber skin interior that will cling to your skin and really control that film of body warmed wetness. This is an incredibly versatile item. I use mine with 3,5 and 7mm fullsuits.

Bare also has the hooded step-in shorty in 7mm and 5mm versions. I own the 7mm and have worn it with my 7mm Arctic and my 5/4mm Velocity. It really does a nice job of warming your core, controling the back zipper seepage while closing off the neck and keeping your head cozy. The mid left thigh to right cheek zipper works nice. I like being able to get out of a dive an immediately open up my neckline when it's hot.

Generally they are sized to wear over the companion wetsuit. A general rule of thumb is that once you have the suit in place on your shoulders the zipper should not be needing to stretch much more than 1 inch of material while closing. If you are stretching a lot more than that be certain you are not restricting your respiration.

Given your fit I'd say that trying the vest on before buying is a must. The hooded step-in also has arm opening gaskets and if you are that built up in the shoulder region you may have a little trouble getting through these as the rubber sealing surfaces tend to cling to your suit.

Pete

snowmaker:
I have a 5/4 Bare wetsuit and need something a little warmer for some of my dives. I was looking at the Bare 7/6 wetsuit and their 6mm hooded vest. My 5/4 fits me good but I have big shoulders and I have trouble getting it zipped with andthing under it. Can I wear the Bare hooded vest over the wetsuit. I was thinking of getting the vest one size larger so it will fit.

What is the differance between the Bare arctic and velocity 7/6 wetsuits. Is the arctic as stretchy.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom