Wetsuit Heater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In the new issue of DANs Alert Diver Magazine (sept/oct 2006) Mention is made of a wetsuit heater on page 50.

Quote:
......He wore an electric heater powered by a battery which mounts to his tank. The heating units panels tuck in the wetsuit between the suit and a 3mm piece of neoprene that protects the skin. One panel is placed over the chest or abdomen and the other is placed on the back below the shoulder blades. The external control allows you to moderate the temperature.

The beauty of this system is that after your dive you can remove the battery from your tank and carry it with you staying nice and warm until you are ready to ditch the wetsuit.

End of quote.....

Is this a "for real" product or a home made Rube Goldberg?

Myself and a buddy have been experimenting with these: http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=5663
But the electric system has appeal.

Pete

Not that those are the catalyst type heat packs, but wasn't a diver burned by using one of the catalyst heat packs in their drysuit when they forgot that they were diving 36% and the additional oxygen caused the catalyst to get really, really hot? Second degree burns on his stomach, IIRC.

Regarding the heat packs, they have been a real boost. This summer I enjoyed a few ocean dives in my 5mm suit and the heat pack made up nicely for the reduced thermal protection. Diving with less rubber and weight was a treat. They deliver for a sold hour before winding down and recharge as advertised. I'll probably use them some in my 7mm in a month or so before finally going dry for the winter. Right now the 7mm suit is just perfect on its own. My wife chills a bit sooner and they give her a leg up on keeping warm.

As for burns the material is listed as non toxic so I'm not too concerned from the chemical side. I don't know if the pouch is permeable enough to have an oxygen interaction. The belt does want to be worn such that the neoprene panel (not the mesh) is between the pouch and the diver or a scalding heat rash will result, I have a buddy that can elaborate on that one.

All in all they are a helpful gadget. Once triggered they are off and running so you need to complete gearing up and get on with the dive. Since most of or dives run over an hour it is winding down well before we get out of the water. They do stave off thermal depletion but you do need to wear enough neoprene to complete the dive without it.

Pete

Pathfinder:
Well, that works for about 5 seconds ;^)

Dave

Right and try it in your drysuit:D:D:D

I have been using the Saline heat packs for several years now. I was at a medical supply show and they had them.

If you remember HS Chemistry, This is a super solution of salt. When you disrupt the solution it becomes a soild, the physical change causes heat which last about 45min in the large packs.

The China Toy Company has the better deals on them but you have to buy LArge amounts.

The electrical heat pack I have not seen but, would love to hear about..

off to read up on that.

Back
Top Bottom