dry suit problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mirrocraft

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hello all i just got a new drysuit woth neopream neck and rist seals i took it out for a try to day in a local lake and well the neck seal seams to be anybe a little to big or im just not doing something right any pointers with the neopream seals or can i have it converted to rubber seals i suit its self fits great like a custom suit and i hate to get ride of it but its not going to do me no good if it dont keep me dry lol

Dude, I have no clue what you're asking. Use a period or two.

Wish I could speak directly to your suit, but for mine, a tri-lam, the neck seal was shipped smaller than my neck size so that I could do the final sizing. The guys I dive with that have your type of neck seal seem to "fold it under on it self". I only know this because I've watched them "fold" it in.

I hope somebody out there can put you put " point-on" because there is nothing better than a dry, dry suit:D , also there is nothing worse than a wet drysuit:shakehead .

I can speak "chapter and verse" on both.

Good luck

With neoprene seals you need to fold the seal inwards so the "smooth" side is against your neck or wrist.

Well, what's better than a dry, dry suit is diving is a skin in 85 degree water with 90-100 feet viz.

Oh, wait, I'm in Ohio---must have been dreaming again.

Kevin

mirrocraft:
hello all i just got a new drysuit woth neopream neck and rist seals i took it out for a try to day in a local lake and well the neck seal seams to be anybe a little to big or im just not doing something right any pointers with the neopream seals or can i have it converted to rubber seals i suit its self fits great like a custom suit and i hate to get ride of it but its not going to do me no good if it dont keep me dry lol

Neoprene seals have a smooth side (usually on the outside) that needs to be next to the skin. If the smooth is on the inside (rare), then the seal is just too big and needs to be changed. If on the outside, then it needs to be folded in to give a smooth sealing surface against your neck.

With neoprene, you cannot turn your neck as far as you can with latex. Turning too far will break the sealing surface and allow water leakage.

If folding properly still does not fix your leakage problem, then the neck seal is just too big. Your option is to replace the seal with a smaller neoprene or a latex one.

thank you i will try that i have dove with rubber seal dry suits and the neck seal went out on my other dry suit. i got this one it fits great but i didnt know about folding the neck seal i will try that.the smooth side is on the out side on the neck and the rist but the neck is the only spot that leaked i will try that when i get back from florida im just trying to get my cold water gear to geither for this winter people dont like to drowned n warm water only when winter hit is when thay are calling the fire dep. for a rescue diver lol

k4man:
Well, what's better than a dry, dry suit is diving is a skin in 85 degree water with 90-100 feet viz.

Oh, wait, I'm in Ohio---must have been dreaming again.

Kevin
ive done all my diving in 100 plus vis and for some reason i lost my mind and desided to put my gear on and move to the mud holes in kentucky

If you still leak a bit with the seal folded in you may want to try using a collar. A bit of electrical tape and work in a pinch but I don't recommend it as if you ever had to get it off in a hurry (e.x. you're underwater and suddenly decide that it's too tight and you can't get anough air).
Just be sure not to strangle yourself with the collar.

You can use a loop of surgical tubing to keep the neck seal tight as well. Just be very careful not to make it too tight.

I imagine folding the neck seal in so the smooth side faces your skin will fix the problem. You're likely still getting a good seal on the wrist because it fits tighter, but could always fold in there as well if you needed to.

If for some reason it still leaks in the neck, it may be worth having the seal replaced.

-Brandon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom