How many Wetsuits do you own

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
How many wetsuits do you own ??? those things can get expensive :eek:

If buying a used wetsuit howand what do you check for wear and tear to determined the abuse on the suit ??

I have a 3mm suit, yellow with black trim, for very warm water. I have a black with yellow trim 5mm titanium (I don't think titanium makes much difference) suit for slightly cooler water or night dives after many dives earlier in the day.
For cold water diving I have a 2-piece 7.5 mm suit. It is black with yello trim.
I have to get a drysuit though for winter dives in Canada. I see from the board that front zip seems to be the way to go for dry suits.:wink:

two piece 7mm for local diving, monterey, and 3mm one piece for warm water.:D

So far the 7mm is warm enough. Maybe I'll try a drysuit next year.

For warm water diving...
> 3mm shorty
> 3mm jumper

For the cat to sleep on...
> 7mm farmer john

For cold water diving...
> DUI TLS350

Steven

started out buying a lycra to ease entry onto my two-piece 7 mils. moved on to drysuits, so the 2 suits were sold/retired.

departed cooler waters for warmer waters. bought a 3mm suit. the lycra (above) was not enough to keep off the chills.

then either the 3mm suit shrank :eek:ut: or i grew lumpier :D so got me a larger sized 3mm.

all in all, 4 wetsuits, 1 drysuit (with two different undergarments but that's another tale :)

care for wetsuit - real rinsing as in dunking in a tub and agitating the water, leaving it there for about half an hour or so. i do use the wetsuit shampoo occasionally. oh, and used wax on the zipper every couple of dives.

when i sold my wetsuit, i showed how good the zippers still are, and the butt, knee and elbow areas, plus the fact that there's no visible evidence of collapsed cells.

1 x 6.5mm farmer john/long sleeve shorty for the cooler New England waters (although that should be getting replaced next season with something that fits better)

1 x 3mm jumper (for warmer climes)

If buying used, check the fit. Try it on and make sure that it fits well (that applies to new suits as well). Also, check the seams both inside and out. Make sure that they're not coming apart anywhere. Same for the zipper seams, make sure the zipper isn't coming off. Personally, I wouldn't buy a used wetsuit. You never know what it's been through and what's leaked through it, if you catch the drift.

-Roman.

One 3mm Farmer John that I use for rafting, kayaking, caving, and diving above 60 degree water.

One 3mm jumpsuit I use for caving.

One 7mm Farmer John/Top for diving in colder weather, which will be relegated to long exposure cave survey because of my drysuit.

A Henderson 5mm

Back
Top Bottom