Latex seals vs. Neoprene seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d

Reaction score
In my never ending quest to make my first dry suit purchase, and in trying not to spend an outragous amount of money, I have another question..... I'm looking into buying a 7mm neo suit, good insulation on its own, price, durability, etc..... Now most reports on neoprene suits Ihave been reading say that most of them leak at the seals. Is this because most of them have a 3mm neck and wrist seals? I'm looking into the Bare CD7 Supra Dry. It comes with latex wrist seals already. Can't I have the 3mm neck seal changed to latex? Please some opinons on this I need HELP....;-0 :confused:

My husband and I have both neo and shell drysuits. We have not had a leak through the neo seals. However, he had his changed at the neck and wrist to latex because he complained how uncomfortable the neck seal was on his adams apple. He was really happy withthe latex seals on the neo suit. See if it possible

Neoprene is a more durable material as well, although all suit will need repair eventually.

I prefer the neoprene suit as well for its easier to repair (aqua-seal) and the suit squeeze grabs smaller fold of skin...

Jeff Lane

I have a Bare Trilam dry suit that came with neoprene seals they leaked so I had them changed to latex .Not only is it possible but it is easy and a good idea
chris joens

My choice would be to have latex seals on the wrist and the Neoprene neck seal. I find that it easier to get the Neoprene over my big head:wink: and since it is more durable it can deal with being pulled over a head much better. (I have seen more neck seals (latex) with slight tears, than latex wrist seals)

My first drysuit had latex seals.They worked great

My bare trilam hd has latex wrist seals and a neoprene neck seal.I actually prefer to have a neoprene neck seal as it seems to be warmer to me,more comfortable,and seals to my bare zippered hood better lessening the flushing effect around my neck.

Also, Neoprene seals are also easy to shrink (Cut a little wedge out and reglue)

Now, even after you got all the seals you like, you could still leak a little bit. My wrists are pretty skinny so, even though I have latex wrist seals, if I make a fist my tendons create channels so that water can flow through, and if I turn/twist my head alot in a dive, water gets a chance to sneak in through the neck seal.

Mind you, I have never noticed it while I was diving. It wasn't until I got the Drysuit off that I noticed that my "Underwear" around my wrists and neck were damp. But it only took about 10 minutes to dry.

I did have neoprene wrist seals on my drysuit but changed them to latex because I think latex makes a better seal. But kept the neck seal as it was.

Thanx for all the input from everyone!!!!!! I'm still not sure what to buy. I am looking at the Bare Next Gen, the ATR Light, and the CD7 neoprene. Now for my next question for those who use a 7mm neoprene suit..... How much more weight do you need using your 7mm neoprene suit as opposed to you 7mm farmer john?

Back
Top Bottom