Anyone using the Viking X-Treme drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon

Reaction score
I am looking to get my first Drysuit, and one that I am considering is the Viking X-Treme. I would really appreciate hearing from people who have one or have used one. What do you think of it. There don't seem to be too any reviews of this one around on Rodales or other similar sites. I can get a really good price on one, but I don't want to get it and then wish I had gotten someting else instead. Oh, I'll be using it for a mix of colder water wrecks, New England coast diving, and early and late season quarry diving. Thanks.

Hey Jon,

I recently bought one to replace a suit with a leaking
zipper. Seems to be a great suit, "priced right" and
I've been told that many urchin divers are using them
and love them.

What part of "New England" are you living?

I've been using an xtreme for approx. a year now. This is my first drysuit and I expect that it will last for quite some time. Although this suit was not my first choice, I ended up with it because I could not find many others off the rack that would fit my short and wide stature. If you tend to match the sizing trends of suit manufactures, then you might find this suit to be a little to baggy. However, this will allow you to wear some very thick and snuggly underwear if you dive in really stupid cold water. I like the suit quite well, especially with the latex hood. The boots are excellent, the latex is pro-quality thick , and the material is durable without excessive weight. The valves are also excellent although the dump valve location is a point of argument in some circles. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend this suit to anyone looking for a rear entry style.

Hi,
I have had my Viking for a little more than a year, and have had no problems with it. I dive wrecks in NJ and regularly expose the suit to broken up steel , and wood environments. other than some staind on the sleeves from lobster extractions the suit seems no worse off. I did get a lot of flack from a couple of folks initaly, but they had a vested interest in other brands. If you are looking at the one with the latex hood DO NOT CUT IT OFF! mine came with the hood and bennie and it is wonderful I can beleve that it keeps my head warm but it does, and in the summer you can wet the bennie with cool water to prevent overheating on the boat. The only thing I wish I had gotten is a relief zipper. I got mine from Bob3 and had no problems with his service.

Here's another X-Treme user. Had mine for over a year. I like it a lot. There've been no problems whatsoever. A commercial diver in Alpena recommended it to me. He said he's done things to his "you shouldn't do to a drysuit" and says it's just great.

It's my first drysuit, and I bought it for the price (less than HALF what the LDS was asking for an Andies) and got it from Bob3. We were careful about the measurements, and I ended up with a suit that fits very well, and is excellent to wear! The service from Bob3 was first rate, so I bought my backplate wing from him too! I have been very happy with my suit and it has given me NO PROBLEMS in the 25 or so dives that I've made since getting it in March of this year. First rate materials, valves that work and don't leak, and good heavy boots. Went to a pair of turtle fins and have been very happy with them too. I really like the attached hood and use it every dive. We are on the way to Kingston, ON to dive the wrecks this weekend, and even in the 70 degree water, I'll have on my drysuit and a light undergarment.

My first drysuit was a Viking Extreme, and in the beginning I loved it. It was light, quick to dry, fitted me like a glove, etc...

Then, on a dive with very bad visibility (about 10 inches), current swept me away and I drifted right into an oyster-bank. The suit was badly cut, about 3 to 4 cuts over a length of about 2 inches on the right leg.

We tried to glue the suit back together, and it held. BUT... after every couple of dives, the cut just ripped further into the leg, making other repair necessary.

Finally I got quoted a huge sum for a decent repair (changing the leg), and I decided to buy an Otter Skin. I did about 300 dives with it, and it still looks new, except for the boots, seals and zipper. I don't use the suit anymore, I use a DUI these days, but the Extreme was IMHO too expensive compared to the Otter suit.

YMMV

Steven

steevke once bubbled...
My first drysuit was a Viking Extreme, and in the beginning I loved it. It was light, quick to dry, fitted me like a glove, etc...

Then, on a dive with very bad visibility (about 10 inches), current swept me away and I drifted right into an oyster-bank. The suit was badly cut, about 3 to 4 cuts over a length of about 2 inches on the right leg.

We tried to glue the suit back together, and it held. BUT... after every couple of dives, the cut just ripped further into the leg, making other repair necessary.

Finally I got quoted a huge sum for a decent repair (changing the leg), and I decided to buy an Otter Skin. I did about 300 dives with it, and it still looks new, except for the boots, seals and zipper. I don't use the suit anymore, I use a DUI these days, but the Extreme was IMHO too expensive compared to the Otter suit.

YMMV

Steven

I have to ask becaue se I am thinking about an extreme, In your opinion, how would the other suits have handled the romp into the oyser-bank? Ans how would the repairs been relative to the x-treme?

Pete

Back
Top Bottom