Wetsuit thickness & water temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I realize that there are enormous individual differences in sensitivity to cold but was wondering what the "general" guidelines of Wetsuit thickness & water temps are.

I dive in tropical waters (78+) and find that a 2mm shorty does the trick for me for 2 dives. Sometimes I might consider a diveskin for a little extra body coverage.

Am considering diving in colders waters (no drysuits,thanks) and was wondering what the general guidelines might be. I am 6'2" , 210 lbs and in pretty good shape.

Thanks,

Sy

You have to define "colder", depths, duration and frequency. Other wise the sky's the limit.

Are we talking Florida or Maine?

If you occasionally split time between warm (Hawaii) and cold (Monterey) diving, can you get by with one wetsuit (presumably a 7/5 or 7 semi-dry) for both, or is it going to be ridiculously uncomfortable to have a thicker suit in warm water?

Jersey shore surface water temps between June and August seem to average about 65-75 degrees according to a chart I saw. "Bottom temps" (there was no definition of "bottom") average 3-5 degrees less over those months.

I'd say 2 morning dives, 75 feet more or less a few times a week if possible.

I'm considering getting an 8 mm wetsuit with hood. You think that would do the trick?

Thanks,

Sy

spectrum:
You have to define "colder", depths, duration and frequency. Other wise the sky's the limit.

Are we talking Florida or Maine?

sytech:
Jersey shore surface water temps between June and August seem to average about 65-75 degrees according to a chart I saw. "Bottom temps" (there was no definition of "bottom") average 3-5 degrees less over those months.

I'm considering getting an 8 mm wetsuit with hood. You think that would do the trick?

Thanks,

Sy

For water 65-75??? For 65 degrees, ok, but if you get in the mid 70's I'd say an 8mil is overkill. Maybe a 5mil with a hood, use a hooded vest if it gets in the lower range of that. Plus an 8mil will limit your range of movement more, you might want to look into a Bare 7/6 mil velocity, core is 7mil and the rest is 6. I think Pinnacle makes a 7-6-5 as well.

You don't want to have to own multiple wetsuits for every month of the year, so anything that's more versatile is better. Buying something that you can layer with other stuff works well because it gets you more use out of your suit.

sytech:

Thanks,

Sy

Perfectly doable for almost any wet diver. I'd rather see you in a 7mm full suit with the appropriate hooded vest, see here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2700551&postcount=9

Pete

Pete,

I would have thought that a 7mm full wetsuit PLUS a (I see that they come in thicknesses from 1" to 7") would be way too bulky and restrictive. I guess not.

What thickness would you recommend on the hooded vest ?

Thanks,

Sy

spectrum:
Perfectly doable for almost any wet diver. I'd rather see you in a 7mm full suit with the appropriate hooded vest, see here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2700551&postcount=9

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom