mm and thermo protection.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uspap

Contributor
Reaction score
I was curious if there is any break down of mm to thermo protection. In others words 1 mm will give this amount of protection 2mm this amount. The reason I ask is because I have a 14 mill suit and freeze the twins while doing photography. Water temp is 52. I could go dry but what is the ideal wet suit thickness for this temp water? Keep in mind I often barely move in a 1 hour period. Sorry for the poorly worded question.

I think a well fitting wet suit vs a loose fitting one screws the thermo protection factor completely.

An 11 mm wetsuit that slushes water around is probably no better than a 3 mm well fitted or semidry wetsuit. I'll bet your 14 mm is leaky?

I know that when you are stationary, you're going to get cold. Perhaps if your hobby is photography, you might need a drysuit.

If you have no fat like me, you probably freeze faster than someone who has insulation.

Many active wetsuit dives can enjoy diving to 50F in a 7mm suit with 2X on the core, self included. As a photographer you are sedentary and I'm surprised that you can even find the twins. You are a drysuit candidate.

Pete

It's been a long time since I've dove in a 7mm wetsuit, but I seem to recall that it was fairly comfortable in waters in the 50s. But then again, the deeper you go, the less it will insulate too.

Thanks. I have the green light from the wife to get a dry suit but I think I'm looking at over 2k. My wet suit fits good and on active dives I'm fine. It's just the Macro photography that kills me. I was hoping there was a cheap fix by adding another mm or 2. Sounds like I have to bite the bullet and drop some cash.

uspap:
Thanks. I have the green light from the wife to get a dry suit but I think I'm looking at over 2k. My wet suit fits good and on active dives I'm fine. It's just the Macro photography that kills me. I was hoping there was a cheap fix by adding another mm or 2. Sounds like I have to bite the bullet and drop some cash.

You can get a solid dry suit for around $800, Bare NextGen. As far as thermal protect per mm goes, it depends a lot on the brand of suit; some compress more than others and some let more water in than others. I dive a 7mm SucbaPro Everflex with a 3mm hooded vest. This provides excellent thermal protection for depths to 130' and 42° water. We dive every weekend wet and have not had an issue; typical dive is to 100', 42-48°, 1 hour. Other suits the guys I dive with are the Pinnacle Artic, Xcel 6.5mm and Akona 6.5mm Farmer. It also depends on your tolerance for the cold. My wife would need 200mm for 40° water:D . When I go to replace my 7mm, I am probably going with the Xcel Hydro Tri-Density 7/6/5, the seaming and thermal protection is phenomenal. You barely get wet.
:monkeydan

Ideal suit for that water is a drysuit.

The colder the water the less reason there is for letting it get close to your skin.

Many posts and little science so here is something to feed the brain...

Short answer:

Lew Nuckols:
Uncompressed foam neoprene has an insulation value of approximately 3 CLO per inch thickness. A typical 6 mm wetsuit (approx 1/4 inch thick) has an insulation value of approximately 0.75 Clo when submerged at the surface, but due to compression drops to less than 0.25 Clo at 100 FSW.
A method to calculate the insulation value as a function of depth and foam density and table of values for wet and dry suits:

NuckolsWet.jpg

Uw = Suit Conductance (Heat transfer coefficient)
Rl = resistance to heat flow through thin film of water
Rf = resistance to heat flow through foam neoprene
Rconv = convective heat transfer between suit and surroundings

as seen here:
NuckolsWet1.jpg

NuckolsValues.jpg

Nuckols, Marshall L. Life support systems design : diving and hyperbaric applications / M.L. Nuckols, Ace J. Sarich, Wayne C. Tucker. Needham Heights, MA : Simon & Schuster Custom Publ., c1996.

Since your wife has loosed the purse strings, make sure you consider that insulation must work when flooded as well has have a proper fit.

SterbaClo.jpg

SterbaWetDry.jpg

Proceedings of the DCIEM Diver Thermal Protection Workshop.
Edited by Nishi, 1989
RRR ID: 3922, DCIEM 92-10

Funny this comes up now. just the other day my little brother (who is getting certified) was asking me wetsuit questions. i told him it all depends upon the person. I wear a hyperstretch 7/5 ( which isn't as warm as a regular 7/5)in 50 degree water taking pictures, and I'm fine. I'm also fairly skinny, so I don't have much built in insulation. Then again I know someone that dives the same water who has a lot of built in insulation. He wears a 9mm farmer john with a 7mm top and is still cold.

Back
Top Bottom