How do i patch a latex wrist seal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepster0000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My dry suit was drying in my garage, and my neighbor's dog bit a small hole in my wrist seal. The hole is a very small probably about 5 mm but enough to let water in. I really do not want to buy a new wrist seal. How would I patch the latex?

THANKS
ADAM

A friend of mine succesfully used duct tape for a couple of weeks. Electrical tape will also work for a little while. Bad news is- you need to make arrangements to replace the seal fairly quickly.

Dick Long ( Ex-DUI CIO and MArketing Dude) indicated at the Dog days Rally that you can use that Surgical super glue to seal it for about 4 to 6 dives. I think it's called Bio Seal.

Mad:upset:

You could also try a small self-stick bicycle tube patch, then paint the edges with aquaseal. I used that method to fix a dry glove, and it's still leak-proof dozens of dives later.

lucid once bubbled...
Where did your bury the dog?
Hope you saved a piece of lower intestine first - if the romans could use sheep gut for condoms, I don't see why dog gut wouldn't make a fine wrist seal!

I've had great luck with bicycle tire latex inner tube patch kits. They come with several patches, cleaning solution and welding glue, cost about $5 and take about 10 minutes to use.

If you've got a tear you should probably replace the seal, but for small holes, the patch kits work well. I've got about 50 dives on a small repair within 1/4" of the leading edge of the seal, right where it takes the most strain - still going strong.

Steven

The big question is, how far away from the end of your cuff is the hole? The further away from the end, the less it'll have to stretch & the longer a temporary patch will hold.
If you managed to hang on to the material you trimmed off the cuffs and/or neck, it'll be easier.
You may be suprised to hear it, but plain old wetsuit cement will hold a patch on IF the surface prep is properly done.
Cut a round patch so you'll have a good 3/8" overlap all around. (I guess you can try a bicycle patch if you don't have the latex trimmings.)
Get some toluene from your local hardware or auto parts store when you pick up the new can of wetsuit cement, get some 60 grit sandpaper too.
Wipe the cuff and patch using the toluene on a clean rag, let dry & scuff well with the 60 grit. Wipe again with the toluene, let dry & apply 2 coats of cement to both surfaces, allowing to dry completely tack free between coats. (have some tin foil inside your cuff so you don't glue it shut)
Slap the patch on & roll it down or smack a few times with a rubber mallet. Allow to set overnight before use.
Temporary patches have been known to last a long time if done properly.
DIY cuff replacement is a piece of cake, we'd do ours in the hotel room when I was diving commercially all the time.
You can download the slide show from: http://comdive.com/cuffs.zip
You can get a wallpaper seam roller for a couple bucks from the hardware store, btw. Viking charges over $20 for their version.

Back
Top Bottom