Gloves...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwtan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello..
I've done about 15 dives in the tropics where the waters are warm but I saw lots of people who wear gloves.. Are gloves important as part of the dive gear?
I've heard some instructors saying that they will not recommend their students to wear gloves (only applies to warm waters) especially those in their beginner stage because we tends to touch things underwater unneccessarily if we had gloves on..
What do you think?

I am diving in "warm water" (Bermuda) for the first time in a few weeks (all my diving at this point has been in the northeastern US, where gloves a required due to colder water temps). I will definitely try and wear gloves when diving in Bermuda. Obviously I want to not be bouncing on and damaging the reefs, but if something were to happen and I had to put my hand down unexpectantly (fighting bad current, etc.), I'd much rather be wearing gloves.

I think some dive operators discourage gloves because they feel it may encourage people to touch delicate creatures that they shouldn't.....still, I'd rather protect myself

If the water is cold enough, gloves are pretty much a given. However, in most tropical dive locations, gloves are discouraged or even prohibited in order to force divers to be more conscientious about their bouyancy control.

The only other time I find gloves necessary is on a wreck where there is a lot of current. Sometimes the only way to keep from being "blown off" is to hang onto something. Of course it goes without saying that this shouldbe on a place where it will do as little harm as possible.

~SubMariner~

I always carry gloves - thin ones for the tropics and thicker ones for colder water. I do not always wear them - in Bonaire, for example, they stay in the dive bag the whole trip, while in Panama City where it's wrecks and the opportunity to pick up a few shovelnose, I wear 'em every dive. Other places I may or may not wear 'em, depending on the dive.
Bottom line - you should have gloves in your dive bag... use 'em when it's appropriate.
Rick

I normally don't wear gloves..except doing some beach dives. I've learned the hard way that strong surge, fire coral and bare hands DO not mix! I do agree that not wearing gloves makes you much more aware of what NOT to touch...cause most coral will slice through wet skin.

But, if you are diving any wrecks...gloves are a must!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom