frozen fingers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Berdman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I went diving yesterday and the bottom temp was 43 degrees. now my body was fine in the 7mm wetsuit my face was fine after about 5 mins and it went numb.... but my fingers in my 5 mm gloves were freezing. Anyway to keep um warm? with out drysuit protection. It really decreased the enjoyment of the dive although it was still fun.

If you're not using a drysuit then drygloves are out therefore the only thing I can suggest is 3-finger mitts by Poseidon or Waterproof. I use mitts in winter or on long (for me) dives and I find them significantly warmer than gloves. There is a little loss of dexterity to begin with with mitts but you soon overcome this.

HTH

Berdman:
I went diving yesterday and the bottom temp was 43 degrees. now my body was fine in the 7mm wetsuit my face was fine after about 5 mins and it went numb.... but my fingers in my 5 mm gloves were freezing. Anyway to keep um warm? with out drysuit protection. It really decreased the enjoyment of the dive although it was still fun.

If you look on most charts, you will probably see that 43F is outside of the wetsuit range. Your extremities are probably cold simply because your whole body is too cold.

Bare 5mm gauntlett gloves. The extra overlap will protect your wrists. With your arms covered in 7mm in 43F water you will have a hard time. Even if your arms are Ok the blood reaching your hands will be cooled. Keep your hands active without flapping.

Pete

never tried it, i now dive dry if it is too cold, BUT, i have been told that putting on latex gloves under you regular dive/wet gloves will help some. dont know the pro's or con's to this, justa thought. anyone ever try it?

Bill

"lobster" mitts, the ones with only 3 fingers (it might just be me that calls them lobster mitts...). Much warmer than having all your fingers separated. Bit of a struggle to get them on though.

GONEHAWKN:
never tried it, i now dive dry if it is too cold, BUT, i have been told that putting on latex gloves under you regular dive/wet gloves will help some. dont know the pro's or con's to this, justa thought. anyone ever try it?

Bill

No But I've considered it.

It stands to reason that it will localize some water volume to your flesh. As an insulator the gloves and water are both nil.

Your palms have the capacity to warm some water. Fkexing your fingers to pump that water around can buy some time.

Pete

I use latex gloves under 7 mm gloves to make donning / doffing of the 7 mm's easier, but using them doesn't seem appreciably warmer than without the latex "liners".
OTOH, anything that slows the thermal transfer merits consideration.

Berdman:

I've done 50 min dives with the Bare 5 mm gloves ... But yes, my hands did get a bit numb :)

5 min seems really short to me, unless they didn't fit well or were riddled with holes :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom