Wet suit for the Galapagos...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattiedread

Reaction score
I'm going to the Galapagos in July, and my ancient Rip Curl died on my in Cozumel... I have a 3 mil shorty and I'm wondering what kind of suit I should acquire (not model, rather style). I've owned many wetsuits in my day, but for surfing, not diving, and I think diving is considerably colder than surfing.

I'm not a big fan of Farmer John's, so I'm considering a full 5mil or 7mil (my wife who is heartier than I when it comes to cold water is laughing at me... "We're going to the Galapagos, not Antartica!") I could use a little guidance here. I want to be warm on my torso and my armpits.

Any suggestions on how thick I'll need? I'm a 20 minute subway ride from Leisure Pro, any reason not to buy there?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,

Your situation sounds familiar. In our house I am the cold one (I get cold in 70+ degree water) and hubby is the warm one (chips ice and dives in wear a wetsuit). Here in San Diego, I use a 7mil one piece with a Polartec underneath and I am usually comfortable during the summer diving season.

I don't know what the temps are like in the Galapagos, but if it is anything like it is here, I personally don't think 7 mil would be too much. I would rather be a little too warm than not warm enough. You can always let a little water in to cool off, but it's kind of hard to add more neoprene when you are at depth.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,

LadyDiver,

Thanks for the reply.

Because most of the diving I'm going to do is in 70, or even 80+ degree water, I went with the 5. The exceptions are Red Sea and Galapagos. I have a feeling by the time I get to the Red Sea I'll have a dry suit (I live in the NY area, and most local divers are dry suit divers). I wanted a wetsuit that I'd get a lot of use out of, and seven mils is just too big to lugging or wearing where I'm going to be doing most of my diving, and for non-diving local activities, 5mil long is a luxury.. most people I know have 3 or 5s for surfing/offshore Hobie sailing through mid October.

I read tons of post, online articles etc. with the idea that I could 'layer'. Of course now my question is.. what is the best way to layer?... under the suit with lycra or polartect, above with a shorty, farmer john top (long sleeve) or a hooded vest?? I threw the question out in the general forum (complete with water temperature, but not specific enough). We'll see. I'm still digging up some interesting stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom