1mm or lined diveskin- which is warmer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving with a 3mm (about 30 dives to date, all warm water). If the water is under 80 deg I tend to start getting chilly by the 3rd dive of the second day, and freezing on night dives. I recently bought a 1mm and a velour lined diveskin. They seem to be about the same thickness and comfort under my 3mm when I tried them on at home. Which will be warmer (and easier with a wet wetsuit)? I don't want to keep both.

Thanks!

the fuzzy dive skin should have little to no effect on warmth in the water. The 1mm should help a bit if it doesn't compromise the seals on the 3mm. If you don't already have one, add a hood or tropical beany ensemble. May look a little dorky but protects the highest heat loss area of the body.

I agree. Divskind does nothing, in fact, I've had people tell me that the dive skin is actually colder, because the fleece doesn't create a seal and alows water to circulate. Fleece may be nice when it's dry, but after a dive it will feel heavy, like you just got out of the shower with a swearsuit on.

Agree with awap on the hood, it will help. I would get rid of both the skin and 1mm and get a light (2mm or thereabouts) hooded vest. That will keep your head warm and provide a little more for your torso also. You will probably have to add a couple pounds of lead.

MD

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to return the lined skin and go with the 1mm for our Cayman trip in February. I tried a hooded vest in December and my thighs and arms were still cold, but if I'm still chilly this time I'll think about getting a hood too.

Yep...ditch that skin. I use a ScubaPro .5mm wetsuit for my first tropic dive, then the second I add a 3-2 SeaQuest wetsuit. By day two I have added a a beanie...I am NEVER cold.

I have tried the lined skin, and they just don't work. However, I have also had success with a lycra skin under my suit. As long as it does not interfere with the seals, the added material helps keep water from moving over your skin under your wetsuit (the cause of the cold).

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! :eek:ut:

-=FizZ=-

scubawife, I find with my 1/8" (3mm) that adding a sleeveless Aeroskin vest under my suit gives me the extra warmpth I need for my "core" without adding bulk or bouyancy. A lot easier than putting on a whole other layer! :)

~SubMariner~

I wear a lycra skin under my 3/2 full suit. Not for warmth (don't believe it helps a lick with that), but because it makes it soooo much easier to put my suit on <grin>>

Peace,
Cathie

-=ScubA FizZ=- once bubbled...
Yep...ditch that skin. I use a ScubaPro .5mm wetsuit for my first tropic dive, then the second I add a 3-2 SeaQuest wetsuit. By day two I have added a a beanie...I am NEVER cold.

I have tried the lined skin, and they just don't work. However, I have also had success with a lycra skin under my suit. As long as it does not interfere with the seals, the added material helps keep water from moving over your skin under your wetsuit (the cause of the cold).

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! :eek:ut:

-=FizZ=-

I just got back from 5 days of 3 dives/day in Grand Cayman. The water was 78-79 degrees. Adding the 1mm under my 3mm kept me warm the whole week. I initially had to add 2 lbs of weight, but by the 5th dive I was back down to my regular weight. I'm glad I gave up on the lined skins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom