Pee-valve / Catheter - Success!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

resnick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those of you who followed my travails in :eek: Wideband Catheter - Holy Crap! (and those who gave many helpful suggestions - thanks!), I thought I'd followup with tale of my successful maiden voyage. Suffice it to say, I'm very happy I got this thing installed, even with the initial figuring out of things.

- I ordered some sample Rochester Pop-On catheters from Rochester. Thanks so much hunter991! These fit perfectly, and many less hair issues than the Widebands. (They are the same thing, only shorter.)

- Picked up my suit from DUI with the new Halcyon Streamline Discharge Valve installed. (I work out in San Diego sometimes, so it was easiest to let DUI do it and pick it up from them.) Got the set screw set correctly while I was there. I'm glad about that; I don't normally have that small an allen key with me. No problems after that.

- Connecting the catheter to the tube is straightforward, though a little dicey in a public place. :blush: Routed with no kinks up through the fly in my board shorts, through the lower end of the zipper in my undergarments, and then down to the valve. No problems there.

- I made sure to "pre-fill" the device a bit as I entered the water, though I take it this is only required for unbalanced valves, eh?

- Operation was fine. Enough said.

- Disconnection was a bit tricky. OK, folks, I'd like to hear from those of you who don't have the quick disconnects (which I will be looking into; can anybody tell me the correct size for the Halcyon and from where to order them?) how you do this without getting pee all over you or your suit, especially if you're in a public place. First of all, there's what's left over in the end of the catheter itself. I understand that you can pinch off the end and then shake it out elsewhere, but as they say, "no matter how you shake and dance, the last few drops get on your pants" (or drysuit or hands as the case may be). Are you guys just better practiced? And as far as what's left in the hose, do you simply put your thumb over the top, get it vertical, and then let it drain out? It all seems a bit messy to me. (Yeah, I know, urine is ostensibly sterile, but still.... :yuck: )

- Catheter removal was a cinch due to ConvaTec AllKare Adhesive Remover Wipes. I picked them up from the local medical supply place. The person there recommended this brand as the best (saying that they used this brand in particular for pediatric cases where gentle is important). Wipe...pull...wipe...pull...wipe...pull. It was off in no time, no pain, no leftover glue, no alcohol/acetone/sandpaper involved, and a pleasant orange fragrance.

The only thing left is to get a proper syringe to clean this thing out. Fighting with it in the sink is a pain.

Any recommendations/comments on the quick disconnect thingies appreciated.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Oh, BTW:

You might not be removing the catheter properly, follow these steps to avoid lingering stickiness.

1. Squat.
2. Place end of catheter under ball of foot.
3. Stand up, smartly.

:rofl3: I still can't read that without laughing. Brilliant!!

The only thing left is to get a proper syringe to clean this thing out. Fighting with it in the sink is a pain.

I use those refillable squeeze bottles (Ketsup, mustard type) from the grocery store

Squeeze bottles with a vinegar water mix.

As far as removing cath from tube, have a towel handy & let it drip off on that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom