• All latex

Votes: 44 68.8%
  • Latex wrists and Neoprene neck

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Neoprene wrists and Latex neck

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a DUI 50/50 with wrist and neck latex seals. They fit well (not tight, not loose) but my skin really doesn't like the latex around my neck. I have been considering switching to a neoprene seal, just for the neck. Do you guys think it's a good idea? How is your dry suit set up?

Arnaud once bubbled...
I have a DUI 50/50 with wrist and neck latex seals. They fit well (not tight, not loose) but my skin really doesn't like the latex around my neck. I have been considering switching to a neoprene seal, just for the neck. Do you guys think it's a good idea? How is your dry suit set up?

My bare trilam atr hd came with latex wrist seals and a neoprene neck seal.I find my neck seal to be comfortable and nice and warm for cold water diving.

Is your neck seal by any chance to tight causing your problems?

My USIA is all latex seals, and the neck was a tad uncomfortable the first dive or 2 because I didn't have enough time to stretch it properly before diving it (only had a few hours the day before) but it's already stretched out good and it's still a little tight but only has 6 dives on it, and gets more comfy each dive.

Arnaud once bubbled...

If you're having a reaction to the latex, you probably don't have much choice. The neoprene work ok, and are warm as lal said, but I find them too bulky. Are you sure the problem isn't razor burns or stubble? I have that problem if not careful

MD

My dry suit has latex seal on both neck and wrists. I was thinking about going to a neoprene neck seal when it comes time to replace the latex seal. I'd like to try one out first though. My latex seals are snug but comfortable, so I have no complaints. I'm afraid the neoprene seals will feel something like a cervical collar.

I have always had Latex and thought I would try the neoprene so i ordered my DUI with a neoprene neck seal and the Dry gloves.

I hated the seal from Day one. Forty dives later I still hated it.

Here are the good points:
Very warm.
stayed dry with no leakage.

Why I switched:
Very restrictive. Since it has to be folded in 6mm around neck
Hard to fold in with gloves. hard to take off with gloves.no matter how much I stretched it could not get it comfortable.

I have a thin neck and a big adams apple it choked the hell out of me. I have sinced removed it and installed a latex.
Since latex has a high stretch and rebounds to original shape it can be cut to desired fit and forgot.

Never again will I own a neoprene neck seal. Not for me.

Do you use talc on your neck. If so That could cause the iration. Try KY jelly once and see if it changes.

Good Luck!

Hallmac

After having tonnes of issues with my Whites latex neck seal, I reluctantly got a neoprene installed. That was the best thing I have done for my suit and my diving comfort yet. It is warm, cozy, comfotable, leaves no marks, and is dry as a bone. All of these aformentioned properties were absent with my old latex. I have had experience with both and go neoprene neck. (also, 2 buddies have recently gone the neoprene route vs. latex; could be the latex Whites uses cux i know that is terrible). Stick with latex wrist seals however.

Lal7176, no it's not too tight. It fits well.

Mechdiver, I'm not sure what stubble is, but the reaction definitely looks like razorburns. I know I'm not allergic to latex :wink:

Noshow you're making the exact points I was looking for.

Hallmac, what do you mean by :
Since it has to be folded in 6mm around neck
?

Thanks everyone!

Arnaud once bubbled...
Lal7176, no it's not too tight. It fits well.

Mechdiver, I'm not sure what stubble is, but the reaction definitely looks like razorburns. I know I'm not allergic to latex :wink:

Noshow you're making the exact points I was looking for.

Hallmac, what do you mean by : ?

Thanks everyone!

On a neoprene neck seal you have a rough side and a smooth side.The smooth side is on the outside of the neck seal.After you don your drysuit you have to fold the smooth side in next to your neck.The smooth part is what seals against your neck.It can be a pain sometimes but have no problems folding mine over now.

So, it's like a turtle neck? Can it give you razor burns, too? If so, that would defeat the purpose, in my case...

Back
Top Bottom