Review: Whites Mk3 Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Review: Whites Mk3 Undergarment

This is a review of the new Whites Mk3 undergarment. I have about a dozen dives on this now, so I think I have a good feel for what’s good and bad about it.

For those not into reading the whole review, here’s the Reader’s Digest version: this suit is beyond warm. Hot, now there’s a word, and that’s in mid-40 degree water. Woof.

It’s worth mentioning this up front: I get cold. Anyone that knows me will attest that I am the gold standard for cold weenie. So, keep that in mind when translating to how this might perform for you.

My prior undergarments have been the Flecton 200 and the DUI 400g, as well as a motley collection of fleece jackets and pants. When I picked up the Whites Fusion drysuit, I also got the Whites Mk2 undergarment. Although the Mk2 was not warm enough for me when water temperatures dipped below 55 degrees F, I was truly impressed by many of the features and the way it integrated into the drysuit, so, I ordered the Mk3. This came with a big reputation of being warm, and I wondered if it was all manufacturer hype. In my mind, it had some big shoes to fill, when compared to the DUI 400g.

The undies

Here’s some views of the Mk3. I am 6’2”, 195 lbs. This is a size XL.
mk3front.jpg

mk3back.jpg

mk3side.jpg

The suit is nice thick polypropylene fleece inside:

fleeceinside.jpg

The outside is nylon ripstop that’s pretty windproof. Sandwiched in between is a generous helping of Primaloft, the same stuff of Weezle fame.

The fit and finish is excellent, seams are straight and double stitched. Something that is (refreshingly) “missing” is Velcro, there isn’t a bit of Velcro on the suit. This is nice because it always snags on everything for me. The materials are quality, and the suit feels like a lot of thought went into the design and assembly.

Unlike most drysuit undergarments, which seem to have a direct evolutionary lineage from a child’s one-piece pajamas, the Mk3 (and all the Whites undies, for that matter) seem to have been designed and evolved from a winter clothing manufacturer like North Face or Columbia. There are pockets where you need them, and more pockets where you didn’t know you needed them, like the small pockets for the car keys:

keypocketnokey.jpg

(A humorous side note: Janet’s car is a Touareg, which has the “key sensor” door locks. We just stick the keys in the key pocket. After the dive, we just walk up to the car, without even unzipping our drysuits, and the car senses the keys and unlocks. You should see the looks this generates!)

The hand warmer pockets are fleece lined, big and roomy, and high enough that you can actually use them when you are out for a surface interval, with the drysuit tied up at your waist.

handwarmerpockets.jpg

There’s also thumb loops, most drysuit undies have these. There are also foot stirrups.

thumbloop.jpg

One feature of the Mk3 (and the Whites Mk2) is the butt flap, or relief hatch, or convenience panel.

bunflapzip.jpg

Whatever you call it, it’s worth a snicker from folks that see it. The snickering abruptly stops the very first time you use it. This lets you use the head without getting out of everything, and dropping all your junk on the floor of the bathroom. Genius.

bunflap.jpg

As you probably noticed, not all of the outside of the undergarment is the same grey nylon; there are black panels strategically placed at points requiring high amounts of mobility. These are 1mm neoprene, and they are there to add mobility by allowing the undies to stretch.

These stretch panels are at the knees:

knee.jpg
kneestretch.jpg

…and at the shoulders:

shoulderstretch.jpg

…and most importantly, at the back of the waist. I hate suits and undergarments that restrict motion, especially when bending over to put on my fins. It’s nice to see mobility built in from the beginning.

smallofback.jpg

smallofbackstretch.jpg

Fit and feel

The fit was pretty good out of the box, here is a comparison with me in blue jeans:

mk3jeans.jpg
mk3front.jpg

The “hand” properties of the undies struck me as a bit stiff, but this was when brand new. As I used the undergarment it softened up considerably.

As soon as you start pulling the suit on over your legs you know it’s going to be warm. It feels like there’s lots of insulation, and there is. The cut of the suit is fairly anatomical, and so it feels right, not like some undies that feel like the arms and legs are just tubes of fabric. Also, as you pull on the arms and legs, you notice that the inside fabric is cut a bit smaller than the outside, which is nice, because the whole assembly resists bunching up and wrinkling.

Mobility is superb. At no time do I feel like the undies are restricting my motion. For me the acid test is the bend-over:

mk3sidebent.jpg

I am a slender guy, so I felt like the circumference was a bit more than I really needed, but what do you expect with a size XL? It’s sized for folks about 40 lbs more than me, so in that regard it seems about right.

Warmth

All this is nice, but warmth is why we’re here. I was looking for a nice toasty solution to scootering in water under 50 degrees F. Driving a scooter is about as low effort as you can get, and I get chilled fastest when going on a long scooter run. And since switching to a Fusion, a shell suit, I’ve been getting colder than I did with the CF200, which you would expect, switching from compressed neoprene to a shell.

I first took the Mk3 into 49 degree water layered over the thin fleece of the Mk1. Whoops, big mistake. As I pulled myself from the water, I felt like throwing myself down on the beach and panting like an overheated dog. Waaay too hot.

The next dive was with the Mk3, with only a thin layer of DuoFold long underwear under the Mk3. After 55 minutes of scootering, I was still hot. Wow. This cold-water-and-being-hot-while-scootering thing was new for me!

A week later, water temps had dropped to 45 degrees. Again in DuoFold under the Mk3, I took an OW class in for two dives. At the end of about 70 minutes, I was still warm. Not “just warm”, but “cozy warm”, if you understand the difference. Scootering, at the 50-60 minute mark with this same set of layers, I am “just warm” in 45 degree water.

Wow. I would have to say these undies have a definite temperature range: the water temperature had better be lower than 55 degrees. Any higher, and welcome to sweat city.

The Mk3 wicks superbly, throughout all layers of the undies. I always come out with a layer of condensation on the outside nylon shell of the undies, sometimes enough that it’s like a layer of dew. However, the inside has never failed to be dry, and I have always felt dry inside. Even my forearms, (which get wet from the wrist seals leaking around my skinny, angular wrists) the outside is damp, the inside is bone dry. The Mk3 gets really high marks from me for its wicking properties.

The comparison

Because warmth is soooo subjective (what’s warm for me may be too cold for you), I’m comparing it to a pretty well-known standard: the DUI 400g. And as soon as we start talking cold water such a comparison is inevitable, anyway.

I have felt great in the 400g under a CF200 in <flips log book pages> 46 degree water, as a pedestrian. The Fusion has felt great in 45 degree water with the Mk3, also as a pedestrian. And when the 400g is under the Fusion, it is definitely cooler than the Mk3, not by much, but noticeable.

So I&#8217;d say, on a scale from one to ten, the 400g is a 10, and the Mk3 is a 12. Granted, the Mk3 is new, and the 400g I&#8217;m wearing is about 2 years old.

There&#8217;s also the differences in feel. The 400g is worn enough that it has great &#8220;hand&#8221;, and folds easily and drapes well, this feels nice to put on. Whereas, the Mk3 is stiffer and will probably take quite some breaking in to get to the same comfort level.

The big difference happens as soon as you bend over or try to move. That Thinsulate doesn&#8217;t stretch worth a darn, and after wearing the 400g, you really feel the improvement in mobility in the Mk3. Within a small, limited range of movement, the 400g is perfectly fine, but as soon as it&#8217;s big range of bending and stretching, the thinsulate stops moving and the difference between the 400g (restricted) and the Mk3(flexible) is quite apparent.

The fit is different, too. I&#8217;ve always felt the 400g had issues in the anatomical fit department, and I was pleased to see the Mk3 fit much trimmer overall. Note that both these suits are size XL:

comparisonsmall.jpg

There&#8217;s one other difference, too: here&#8217;s the wash tag inside the Mk3:

washtag.jpg

I&#8217;m sorry, I can&#8217;t compare this with the Weezle; I&#8217;ve never even pulled on, let alone dove, a Weezle before. If they&#8217;re as warm as the Mk3, it&#8217;s no wonder folks with them think they&#8217;re great.

Conclusion

If I was to summarize the Mk3, it would be with one word: Warm. Plus, it&#8217;s a very easy suit to live with, with all the &#8220;convenience flaps&#8221; and nice little zippers and pockets. And being able to move around easily ain&#8217;t half bad, either.

Within the rather surprising limitation of having water temps be below 55 degrees, I&#8217;m happy with the Mk3 as undergarments.

I hope this review was helpful for you!

All the best, James

PS &#8211; Did I say this thing was warm?

Man, and here I was being all happy with my new DUI 400g . . . But I can't reach my valves in it.

James, you need to stop posting reviews. Now I'm lusting after a Fusion AND a new undergarment!

Great review James. Thanks. This new undergarment seems to have some really nice features. I'm currently happy with my new Weezle Extreme+, but if I end up having mobility issues moving into tech later this year, I'll definitely keep them in mind.

I was torn between the MK3 & the Weezle. Ended up w/ the weezle extreme + through mike & his dema deal on them. I absolutely love it. I also own the MK2 that came w/ my Catalyst DS & really like the elastic panels & mobility. Although I can't compare the two, I'm still plenty able to hit my valves in the weezle.

Great & informative post. Thanks James

Fantastic review, James! Thanks.

Any change in your weighting with the White's Mk3 compared to your DUI 400g?

Can you give me a rough idea how many total pounds negative you need, including backplates, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Did I mention, "Fantastic review!"?

Dave C

Fantastic review, James! Thanks.

Any change in your weighting with the White's Mk3 compared to your DUI 400g?

Can you give me a rough idea how many total pounds negative you need, including backplates, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Did I mention, "Fantastic review!"?

Dave C
Yes, I've added about 4 lbs by switching to the Mk3, this in fresh water. (how did I miss adding this to the review?) For me, in Lake Tahoe, it's 31 lbs on a belt + 5 lbs BP + 2.5 lbs steel cylinder for a total of about 39 lbs.

When I first started diving it I just threw on the usual lead. Comical, I ended up grabbing and carrying rocks...

Thanks for the good words everyone. I try very hard to be impartial and report the good with the bad.

All the best, James

James,

Thanks for your awesome reviews. They are very in depth and give excellent information.

I too am very impressed with the MK3. As you mention though, warmth is a personal thing. I maintain the threshold of going from the Mk1/MK2 combo to the MK3 is 47-49 degrees. It all depends on how people dive and their tolerance for cold.

Outstanding review!

I just bought the MK3 myself. I had tested it in a size large and found it restrictive. I was concerned that the XL would be too large and have too much material to stuff into my drysuit, but was pleasantly suprised to find it fit very well (just a little bit large in the torso).

Did you get the Jacket? I'm trying to figure out what the heck it's for. You couldn't possibly wear it with the jump suit (maybe just the vest part. I'm guessing it's for out of the water.

Also, I can see that once the water warms back up, I'll need to hang these things up for the season - too hot. It will be good to rotate undies, which should prolong the file of both.

Hey,

Yup...double thumbs up from me as well on the new MK3 from Whites. It is VERY warm there is no doubt about it. I have 20 or so dives in mine and it is very nice indeed.....I would say by far the best Undergarment I have seen from Whites.
Recently the water temp around my area has been 41-44 degrees and yes, these undies keep me warm in all ranges of my diving (ie:scootering, rec diving, tech diving 2+hours)
Saying this all however, be prepared (at least in my case) to add weight. I have worn Bare, DUI heavy, Whites undies in past and currently I dive also dive a Weezle and I did have to add weight when wearing this MK3. (6 pounds)
In direct comparison with the Weezle I would say that the MK3 does give the Weezle a run for it's money with regards to warmth in the diving that I do as it does 'feel' warmer than the Weezle, however the Whites MK3 I use is brand new, my Weezle is 3 years old (450+ dives)
You can't go wrong with either as they both very very warm.

Those of you who are thinking of a new warm undie, this would be a great choice. I highly recommend.

tp

Back
Top Bottom