Wetsuit stitching repair question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SD40T-2

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm sure this is going to be a simple question for some,

I've got a AKONA 7mm one peice and my knife holder snagged the threads of the left leg and pulled about 3 inches of outside stitching out. The inside stitching is still intact and the glue is holding but I would like to repair it. What repair technique is the best in this situation?

SD

Don't try to restitch, you'll just wind up weakening the material.

Here's a job for Aqua Seal, run a thin bead down the seam & feather out the edges.
Mask off the area first so you have a nice pretty straight line.
About a 3/8" wide swipe will do, and run over the remaining stitching about an inch.

Where might one obtain Aqua Seal from. The interesting thing is that the two neoprene pannels that are the location in question are still held together with the original cement/glue and the nylon thread on the inside. Would altering that connection be required to make the reapir?

SD

Aqua Seal should be able to be found at most any dive shop. (It's called Aqua Sure in Europe).

No alteration of the existing joint is going on, just a bit of glue over the thread / unthreaded seam.
Some manufacturers do this to all their seams on things in hard wearing areas.
Have a look at the gloves: http://www.dyk-brand.se/images/enduro.3_mm.jpg

The shiny striped part is the Aqua Sealed thread seam.
If you're in a pinch & can't find any Aqua Seal, the formua for some other common adhesives is similar (latex based).
Drop me a PM if you can't find "the good stuff"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom