Atlan Custom Wetsuit Models?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBen

Registered
Reaction score
Northern NY State, just south of Montreal, Canada.
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey folks,

I'm leaning toward a custom suit from Atlan. A local diver has recommended them and they are relatively close to me (as opposed to all the other custom guys).

I am new to diving but will be diving mostly cold water in and around Northern NY. Currently shying away from drysuits do to cost, esp since I'd need a custom.

So, that being said can anyone help me through the models of cold water suits that Atlan offers? Atlan Wetsuits

The water temp at depth at my main dive site will be 50-60 degrees.

Is it better to have a hood attached? Farmer John or one piece? Any other insight on suit picking will be appreciated.

Atlan makes a good wetsuit for the price. I would recommend getting a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit or a 1 piece 7mm, but it depends a lot on your body type and tolerance to cold.

As for a hood, there are pros and cons to an attached hood. If you go detatched, you can dive without a hood when the water is warmer, if you can tolerate it. 65 degrees is about the coldest I can go. Having a separate hood means an extra step when putting on your suit. An attached hood can lead to gaping around the neck and possibility of getting cold.

Having a custom suit will definately be more comfortable, and for the price, a lot easier on your checkbook than a drysuit.

definitely understand the want to lighten the hit to the wallet, and do know that you are a new diver so will be slowly building up your dive log, but IMO if you plan to do most or all of your diving waaaaay upstate then I would honestly recommend spending a little more and going dry to start. Def won't regret it. I do most of my diving in fresh water quarries, or in the Atlantic, am getting to the point where if I'm going diving I want to at least get 2-3 dives in. Even with my well fitted 7mm farmer john I still get cold. I've demo'd 2 drysuits and had no hesitation saying that diving dry is the ONLY way to go in New England. Will be investing in a drysuit this spring. To each his own, but I think the initial investment pays quickly.

Hey folks,

I'm leaning toward a custom suit from Atlan. A local diver has recommended them and they are relatively close to me (as opposed to all the other custom guys).

I am new to diving but will be diving mostly cold water in and around Northern NY. Currently shying away from drysuits do to cost, esp since I'd need a custom.

So, that being said can anyone help me through the models of cold water suits that Atlan offers? Atlan Wetsuits

The water temp at depth at my main dive site will be 50-60 degrees.

Is it better to have a hood attached? Farmer John or one piece? Any other insight on suit picking will be appreciated.

I have the Manta Ray (7/7 John & Jacket) with neck, wrist and ankle seals. It's been an excellent suit though I no longer use it since going dry. I've had it down to the high 30's - low 40's and while nothing is "comfortable" at that temp for a skinny guy, it was bearable. Mid 40's and up and it's great. I would recomend it.

The comfort and performance of your suit will be entirely dependent on the quality of work by whomever is doing the customization. Take the time to get it done right.

My wife dives the Tahoe with both pieces in 100% 7mm. She has the cheek to almost thigh zipper (not the across the chest). It's a very nicely made suit.

For all intents an purposes it's the same as my Bare set shown here. The only thing she lacks is the arm opening gaskets in the vest. With that suit she dives to 50F.

Having the attached hood does a lot to close of your biggest source of water infiltration, the neck opening. I'm partial to a full suit that provides a solid membrane over your body layered with a vest.

Layering with the vest takes care of the neck opening and mutes the back zipper seepage.

Pete

I have the Tahoe combo set :

- 7/5mm full lenght suit. Double ankle/wrist seals. Does an incredible job at not letting water in or out. Fill with water prior diving :)

- 7/5mm jumpsuit (no sleeve) with integrated hood. I have the "zipper across the chest" model. This is the warmest hood I've worn.

Combined with a full 2mm suit and 2mm neoprene socks, I can dive at just about any temperature :D

Suit config is a matter of personal preference I guess. My reasoning was that I needed full body coverage (1st layer) and that the integrated hood config decreases water circulation. That was several years ago...

The Farmer John suit + longsleeve jumpsuit make sense to me as well. I would definitely go for an integrated hood. If you need a hood, the jumpsuit can't hurt either IMO!

Be careful to get a fit that's not too tight. It was my mistake when I bought my first gloves and mitts. The idea is to let some water in. Oops! :p

EDIT : whew! How can you pick a model on such an horrible website?

Another thing : you could lower the price by going for a standard size model. Send them your measurements. It's easier to return a non-custom wetsuit if it doesn't fit well.

Be careful to get a fit that's not too tight. It was my mistake when I bought my first gloves and mitts. The idea is to let some water in. Oops! :p
Water volume is not your friend. Water is a conductor and one that flush at that. Having a hint of compression with full freedom of movement and no effect on breathing is what is desired.

EDIT : whew! How can you pick a model on such an horrible website?
I agree they should go back to the prior format or respin what they now have.

BTW, what have been your favorite Bar Harbor sites? Have you seen my trip report?

Having several in the family I am fond of the Atlan product. Likewise Pinacle is a top shelf product as well. At the end of the day the one that can fit you best will be the winner.

BTW, does this LDS sell Atlan?

If you are close enough to Atlan to go there for measurements and fitting I would consider that a slam dunk.

Back
Top Bottom