the best 5mm - Waterproof, 4th Element...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theundertow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I just ripped my beloved henderson 5mm GC and now have an excuse to splurge on a new suit. I've been into the Waterproof suits w/ their bells & whistles since I saw them at dema in '06.

A Waterproof dealer I called up was really drumming up the new Fourth Element Proteus 5mm, saying it has the same sort of inside lining like the gold core. My favorite part of the GC was its quick drying and ability to wear all day while in and out of the water and stay warm (while others are shivering and peeling off their cold & wet suits) and the Proteus may do the same.

Does anyone have experience with either of these suits and know the pros & cons? Are there any other solid built suits I should look at?

Not too concerned with price - I abuse my suit and want something to last and be warm. My GC lasted 4 years but its construction is a little weak. I appreciate any suggestions. Cheers,

Chris

Last edited:
I really do not have much experience other than I looked into this thread since you seemed to be interested in the same suits I was looking into. There was quite a lot of hype about the Proteus at my local shop after BTS (expo), and they have always pushed Waterproof a lot. I have passed the Waterproof because honestly I find that the women's suit looks a bit too Xena on me :D

I went and tried the Proteus though because I love my 4th Element drysuit undies and thus had a very positive expectation of their product. I tried on the 5mm suit and it was a perfect fit for me, a great start. Unfortunately, I was terribly disappointed because I was looking for a 5mm suit for tropical use and one important criteria was easy donning... And, honestly, the suit was an absolute beotch to put on and take off. The unfamiliar collar style was not much of an issue and the suit was comfy when on but the material was so damn sticky that it was a big struggle. Noway would I consider this suit for warm environment. I would die putting it on. (I tried it without skin which I normally use - but come on, it was way worse than my worse ever suit).

That's all I can offer you, sorry. I had high hopes but I crossed it over on first encounter for that one reason alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom