Wetsuit for big guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Callo21

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been looking for a wetsuit for myself. I have been looking t all of he size charts online for the different businesses that make wetsuits. I was looking for anyone around my size or anyone that knows someone around my size. I am about 6 foot and and weigh about 285. My weight is spread out through my body well. I have had a lot of people that tell me I don't look like I weigh that much, but the scales don't lie. I have been looking at several suits. The henderson hyperstretch only goes to a 3x, but I think it would stretch to fit me. The pinacle is the same way, but I think the elastoprene would tretch me to. Akona carries wetsuits up to 5x, but I don't know if they would not fit right either bacause they are rated for around 6'2" tall. I just want a wetsuit that is comfortable, and I don't have any places around I can go try on these suits. So like I said I wanted to talk to other big guys that are actually wearing these suits. Thanks for your help.

I recommend going custom.

I'm either too wide or too short, depending upon whichever dimension I may try to cover with an off-the-rack wetsuit. I don't believe in using stretch material for fit, as least not around here in cold water. Material can only stretch by getting thinner. I'm paying for thick, not thin.

I bought my custom 7 mm FJ semi-dry for the less than an off-the-rack wetsuit at the LDS from Aqua Flite. I ordered on a Monday and had my new, perfectly fitting suit delivered on Friday of that week. Check them out at Custom Wetsuits, Scuba Diving Skins, Parkas from AquaFlite

well right now I am wearing a neo sport 2 piece suit, and when I put the farmer john on, it feels alright, but when I put the jacket on, it is to tight. It is a 3x. I figured I would get used to it, but I really makes me feel like I can't take a good breathe. Thanks.

well right now I am wearing a neo sport 2 piece suit, and when I put the farmer john on, it feels alright, but when I put the jacket on, it is to tight. It is a 3x. I figured I would get used to it, but I really makes me feel like I can't take a good breathe. Thanks.

The Checking the Fit and Custom topics may be worth reading.
SCUBA Knowtes, Exposure Protection - Wetsuits

From what you have posted my money is on custom.

Pete

I wouldnt worry too much about the weight...a lot of us weigh more then we look like we should. Its the measurements you want to look at. Have a look at the Oneill size chart here. I have 3 of their suits, good price and quality.
Oneill > Company > Size Chart

If all else fails go with the custom. But that can be big $$
Good luck

I'm wearing a 5xl Akona 3mm Quantumstretch. It's very comfy! I am having a custom 7mm made from Horizon Wetsuits for the colder months though.

You are a great candidate for a custom wetsuit. Fit is most important in order to keep warm. I have a custom suit made by Wetwear and it fits like a second skin. I dive with many people who also have there suits and a few of them would make you look small. They specialize in making suits for hard to fit people....I have a big butt, a little waist and large breasts......I could never fit into a ladies off the rack suit! They also have really cool zippers on the arms and legs that make getting it on and off a dream!!!! I don't know why everyone always thinks custom is sooooo expensive....their basic suit is actually cheaper than an off the rack Henderson! The people there are great and will walk you through everything. You get to pick and choose all of your features like color, zipper placement and accessories because the suit is made from scratch just for you! All I know is anyone your size who squeezes them self into a off the rack suit will never be completely comfortable! Wetwear's website is Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities. Good luck!

You mighy want to check with National Aquatic in Syracuse 1-800-seadive. They had a used equip. sale and I have a Farmer John 7ml suit never used there. It was built for me when I was your size but I lost 85lbs. It was also considered a semi-dry.

Back
Top Bottom