Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wetsuit for big guy

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49

Wetsuit for big guy

I have been looking for a wetsuit for myself. I have been looking t all of he size charts online for the different businesses that make wetsuits. I was looking for anyone around my size or anyone that knows someone around my size. I am about 6 foot and and weigh about 285. My weight is spread out through my body well. I have had a lot of people that tell me I don't look like I weigh that much, but the scales don't lie. I have been looking at several suits. The henderson hyperstretch only goes to a 3x, but I think it would stretch to fit me. The pinacle is the same way, but I think the elastoprene would tretch me to. Akona carries wetsuits up to 5x, but I don't know if they would not fit right either bacause they are rated for around 6'2" tall. I just want a wetsuit that is comfortable, and I don't have any places around I can go try on these suits. So like I said I wanted to talk to other big guys that are actually wearing these suits. Thanks for your help.

Divemaster Candidate

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I recommend going custom.

I'm either too wide or too short, depending upon whichever dimension I may try to cover with an off-the-rack wetsuit. I don't believe in using stretch material for fit, as least not around here in cold water. Material can only stretch by getting thinner. I'm paying for thick, not thin.

I bought my custom 7 mm FJ semi-dry for the less than an off-the-rack wetsuit at the LDS from Aqua Flite. I ordered on a Monday and had my new, perfectly fitting suit delivered on Friday of that week. Check them out at Custom Wetsuits, Scuba Diving Skins, Parkas from AquaFlite

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    well right now I am wearing a neo sport 2 piece suit, and when I put the farmer john on, it feels alright, but when I put the jacket on, it is to tight. It is a 3x. I figured I would get used to it, but I really makes me feel like I can't take a good breathe. Thanks.

Dive Bum Wannabe

is Ready to Dive

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Callo21 View Post
    well right now I am wearing a neo sport 2 piece suit, and when I put the farmer john on, it feels alright, but when I put the jacket on, it is to tight. It is a 3x. I figured I would get used to it, but I really makes me feel like I can't take a good breathe. Thanks.
    The Checking the Fit and Custom topics may be worth reading.
    SCUBA Knowtes, Exposure Protection - Wetsuits

From what you have posted my money is on custom.

Pete
    My ever growing collection of assorted ramblings on scuba topics can be read here.

No sequence of classes will make a good diver out of you, if you aren't actively diving and practicing in the meantime.
    TSandM

Registered

Lovin' life

I wouldnt worry too much about the weight...a lot of us weigh more then we look like we should. Its the measurements you want to look at. Have a look at the Oneill size chart here. I have 3 of their suits, good price and quality.
    Oneill > Company > Size Chart

If all else fails go with the custom. But that can be big $$
    Good luck

Registered

Misses his bro

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I'm wearing a 5xl Akona 3mm Quantumstretch. It's very comfy! I am having a custom 7mm made from Horizon Wetsuits for the colder months though.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

You are a great candidate for a custom wetsuit. Fit is most important in order to keep warm. I have a custom suit made by Wetwear and it fits like a second skin. I dive with many people who also have there suits and a few of them would make you look small. They specialize in making suits for hard to fit people....I have a big butt, a little waist and large breasts......I could never fit into a ladies off the rack suit! They also have really cool zippers on the arms and legs that make getting it on and off a dream!!!! I don't know why everyone always thinks custom is sooooo expensive....their basic suit is actually cheaper than an off the rack Henderson! The people there are great and will walk you through everything. You get to pick and choose all of your features like color, zipper placement and accessories because the suit is made from scratch just for you! All I know is anyone your size who squeezes them self into a off the rack suit will never be completely comfortable! Wetwear's website is Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities. Good luck!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    The henderson 3 XL fit me fine and I am 6' 285.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    I have to agree with Ms.diverusa ...cute name by the way! I love my Wetwear suit! You should defiantly check out their website before making a decision. Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities

Registered

Has not set a "status"

You mighy want to check with National Aquatic in Syracuse 1-800-seadive. They had a used equip. sale and I have a Farmer John 7ml suit never used there. It was built for me when I was your size but I lost 85lbs. It was also considered a semi-dry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast