drysuit shell versus crushed neoprene.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougd

Reaction score
We are new to cold water diving and were at Hood Canal in Washington State yesterday diving with wet suits. We're getting a little cold after about 30 minutes and are really thinking of going with dry suits.

While BSing with other divers yeterday, we got a feeling of strong preference towards crushed neoprene dry suits over shells. The argumernts were that the squeeze didn't pinch as much, air distributed through the suit easier, and of course lower cost.

As we're on a limited budget, cost does play a large part in our decision making, though we're not going to scrimp and be uncomfortable.

I hope I'm not repeating a question from earlier on the board and would welcome any constructive comments.

You must mean compressed neoprene... DUI CF200 is the only true crushed neoprene and it is probably the most expensive suit material there is.... the shell suits, espeically bilams are much cheaper.

I presently have both a trilam and a CF200 and have had several vulcanized rubber suits as well.

My preference is a self donning trilam suit.

i have dove shell suits and a crushed neoprene suit and am now back at a shell suit. I do not like neoprene suits, they are bulky, very bouyant, expensive and take forever to dry.
I have never had any problems with squeeze in a shell suit.
I'd suggest a shell suit anytime over any sort of neoprene suit.

if you pour some warm water in your wet suit prior to doing your dive, you will be able to extend your dive time. I use a hand pump I bought at the local fleet and farm to facilitate this. I'm good for about an hour in thirty five degree water this way. Of course I have norse blood which helps. I know its no substitute for a dry suit, but it will make you more comfortable until you get one.

Jim:)

SwimJim once bubbled...
if you pour some warm water in your wet suit prior to doing your dive, you will be able to extend your dive time. I use a hand pump I bought at the local fleet and farm to facilitate this. I'm good for about an hour in thirty five degree water this way. Of course I have norse blood which helps. I know its no substitute for a dry suit, but it will make you more comfortable until you get one.

Jim:)

Just dont pour hot water into your wetsuit in between dives.

I'll agree with the others. Crushed neoprene is very expensive, very heavy, and like lal7176 says, takes forever to dry. The self-donning trilam should serve very well.

Where on Hood Canal were you? We get over to Hoodsport on a fairly regular basis.

MD

I like neoprene. A thinner, snug fitting neoprene suit, 4mm or less, is alot warmer and I feel that the suit just stretches more and is quite comfortable. You also don't need to wear as much under garments as you do with a shell suit. I've dived a couple of each and I'll stick with the neoprene.

MechDiver. We were at Octopus Hole. Viz was down to 10-20 feet, probably due to arriving late in the morning after the silt had been kicked up by students.

Faye. Thanks for the feedback. You appear to be in the minority though with your preference for crushed neoprene. to everybody, is that just because shells and Trilams in particular are somewhat in vogue?

The different materials have different benefits and drawbacks. Which material is best for you is entirely dependent upon what sort of diving you are planning to predominately do, and as you mentioned, your price range.

If you are doing wreck penetration or any other diving activity that has likely potential contact with high abrasion and or sharp objects, then crushed/compressed neoprene suits are more durable better than tri-laminates. As mentioned, they are heavier and the outside covering of the neoprene rubber take a while to dry.

If you have a chance of minor contact abrasion/sharp objects, then the Cordura laminates may be durable enough to be satisfactory, and the benefits of quicker drying (and thus possibly faster patch jobs)/lighter weight may be more desierable.

If you have pretty much no abrasion and no sharp objects in your diving future then the inexpensive cost of a more basic tri-laminate may be even more compelling than a cordura laminate.

If you are going to be diving in potentially contaminated/polluted waters, then a Vulcanized Rubber drysuit is most suitable due to the ability to easily wrinse it off, and also because Vulcanized rubber is more resistant to many chemicals.

Plain neoprene has it's place because they can be more form fitting and thus more streamlined, and due to the incresed stretch they may be more comfortable. On shallower dives, the neoprene also provides some insulation. They are also fairly puncture/cut resistant and inexpensive, though I think that with deep dives, it would have a shorter service life than the other materials.

I'm currently diving a newly aquired cordura laminate drysuit. I'm an apartment dweller and fast drying is important to me since I can't use my shower while the suit is drying. When I start to do more wreck diving later this year, then I will probably be getting a CF200 crushed neoprene suit for the durability and will have to come up with some way to accomidate drying times.

Back
Top Bottom