Beanie vs. Hood for extra warm-water protection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I did my first 10 OW dives in Granada and St. Lucia this past summer. Despite the 81 degree water temp and a Henderson Gold Core 3mm suit that fits me like a glove, I got a bit chilly on deep 1st dives and on most 2nd dives. This is probably due to my frame- 5'11" and 145 lbs- and my sensitivity to cold water in general.

I'm heading to Little Cayman in a couple of weeks which also has a water temp of around 81 degrees. I want to make sure I stay nice and toasty and I'm trying to decide whether to go with a beanie or a 3mm hood. The chin-strap on the beanie feels restrictive on my throat which I don't like but I'm worried the hood is overkill and might be more complicated to deal with for a beginning diver.

Any thoughts on your preferences and why would be appreciated....

I think you'll hate the hood. You should try one on with your wetsuit and see what you think. When I started out here where there really isn't a choice, I found it oppressive, but that feeling wears off when you see its value. Given the amount of heat loss from your head, it should really be the first part of you covered. I wear a hood even in the tropics, and it does make a difference in comfort particularly on multiple dives.

I have tried a beanie under a hood for coldwater and was less than happy. I would try the lightest hood I could find as they will stay put much better IMO.

I don't think you will see anything more complicated about using a hood, other than remembering to put it on :)

Another option would be a thin sleeveless vest over your wetsuit, but that would probably mean more weight.

MD

I like my beanie, but I don't think it will make enough difference for you. With your tendency to get cold on the first dive even in 3mm, you might want to consider a hooded vest. If you are getting cold on the first dive, the beanie probably won't be enough.

A 3mm hooded vest is a good option as it will actually keep you warm and will not look cartoon stupid like a beanie :)

WW

an unbelievable amount of heat is lost via the head.

obviously you cant keep it dry but a hood would do a lot to keep you warm. i tend to shy away from a hooded vest because it would just be another piece of gear i would use only under certain circumstances....just a plain hood would be cheaper and leave the jacket as a shortie when i just needed that....

whatever makes you happy...comfy....and warm is what you should do.

I'm more inclined to go for the hood rather than the hooded vest since I need a lot of weight to get down as it is and I don't think I need any more chest coverage.

Are there any pitfalls with using a hood, such as it getting in the way of the mask, pressure on the ears, etc. that I should be aware of?

Uzair

1) Make sure that your mask skirt is completely under the hood, or it will not seal on your skin and you will have a leaky mask;

2) I haven't noticed any ear issues (I like mine covered), but you might want to make a small hole in the top of the head area. Air that comes out of your mask as you equalize or clear can end up trapped there, and you will look like a conehead. That can be a little uncomfortable.

3) If you need to trim the face area, go ahead.

4) Do a good job tucking it flat into your wetsuit--folds can channel water right in otherwise.

Any other suggestions out there?

Don't worry about it. Buy a thin hood, put it on, put your mask on and dive. The only thing you need to watch for is making sure that the mask still seals to your face (i.e. the hood is outside of the mask).

Hoods also get rid of that annoying pull on the ears caused by the mask. I don't dive without one even in a pool. If I can find it, I'll post a picture that shows why. :)

With a 3mm and that frame, define "a lot" of weight. I was in a hooded 7mm semi dry w/ aluminum tanks and needed less than 20 lbs and I'm 6'@150 lbs, so I'd guess you'd need to use somewhere around 12-15 lbs with a hooded vest and 3mm fullsuit.

New Hoo Diver once bubbled...
I'm more inclined to go for the hood rather than the hooded vest since I need a lot of weight to get down as it is and I don't think I need any more chest coverage.

Are there any pitfalls with using a hood, such as it getting in the way of the mask, pressure on the ears, etc. that I should be aware of?

Uzair

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom