Leaky Si-Tech inflator valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sks700

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anybody know how to strip down and service a si tech 360deg swivel inflator?

I think mine is leaking and I thought it would be worth a clean before having to buy a new valve.

If pics were available then even better.

Many thanks
crossfingers.gif

The pictures below of my Apeks inflator might help. Your SI TECH might be similar. Cleaning and lubing was all it took to get mine back to shutting off as it should.

Let me see if I can remember how I did it....
  • Turn the outside inflator port counterclockwise until it reaches its stop
  • While holding the outside port (and flange) against the stop (so it does not turn on the fabric of the suit and disturb the gasket of caulk between it and the fabric), turn the inside valve flange/cover counterclockwise to loosen and remove it
  • The E-clip can be removed when the inflator button is depressed, allowing you to remove the button and shaft to clean and re-lube the valve tube and o-rings, etc
HTH.

Dave C

Apeks_inflator_c-clip.jpg

Apeks_inflator_button_shaft_spring_o-rings_c-clip.jpg

Hey Sks - did you ever get that issue resolved? And if so, then did you manage to service it yourself or what? And are you using a Si-tech hose? If not then what brand?

I've had two leaky valves on a 6 month old suit. The suit maker sent me a replacement and the tool to fit it - and now the second one is leaking.
It'll be ok at the start of a days diving, and then starts to get a little sticky - just lets in a slow but steady stream, and while its happening I cant let in more! The only thing to do mid dive is unplug the hose, which is OK, but not the ideal!

I'm sending both inflators back to Si-tech with the Si-tech hose for them to do some tests on. They said they hadnt heard of this problem before - so maybe you should get in touch with them.

FWIW - There's no e-clip there, it seems to be loads of little plastic tabs that retain the swivel - looks like I'd snap them all if I tried to prise them open enough to dismantle.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Last edited:
Hi Tunicates!
Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
I haven't fully resolved it yet. Actually I haven't tried too hard either. I put up the suit after the last dive and have barely looked at it since. The pictures that Dave4868 sent (thanks by the way Dave!!), don't look like my Si Tech valve, though it's sort of hard to tell as his is taken apart.
The inflator hose doesn't say Si Tech anywhere on it, so it must be a generic brand.
Sorry to hear of your trouble, especially on a new suit. It sort of dampens the fun when you have to do a workaround and fiddle around with something that should be worry free. Don't you just love it when the manufacturer has never heard of your symptoms? Nothing like a mystery! Did you replace the entire valve? If so, was it difficult?
After reading your reply I went back to look at and take some pictures of the valve in question. When I laid out the suit, I noticed the tape around the valve is loose and coming up on a couple edges. This might be my problem!! I'll seal it up and keep an eye on it next dive.
I'm still curious about how to take apart and service the valve on my suit. I've included a couple shots of the valve to see if anyone recognizes the vintage and knows anything about them.
Thanks again and good luck with your repair and/or replacement!

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 309
When I laid out the suit, I noticed the tape around the valve is loose and coming up on a couple edges. This might be my problem!! I'll seal it up and keep an eye on it next dive.
I'm still curious about how to take apart and service the valve on my suit. I've included a couple shots of the valve to see if anyone recognizes the vintage and knows anything about them.

Hey Rob, I may have misunderstood; is this an air leak or a water leak?

The pictures you posted are helpful and your SI TECH valve appears to be very similar to my Apeks.

As I said, the two halves of the Apeks can simply be unscrewed and your SI TECH may be the same, but to be sure it doesn't require a tool to release a tang, I would give Whites a call and ask.

Once you get the valve off the suit, you can service the valve for an air leak problem or re-caulk the outer base of the valve for a water leak problem. I doubt a water leak would be coming through the valve itself.

If the seam tape is leaking, I'd call Whites and see what they suggest. Can't hurt to call.... :)

Best of luck!

Dave C

Last edited:
Thanks Dave,
I forgot to specify that it is a water leak. I assumed it would be the valve, but I suspect it's a seam since I can peal it up more than I should be able to. I'm in touch with DOCTORDRY at Whites and I might just replace the valve just to be sure
Rob.

Yes, I realize this thread is 18 months old. I have a SiTech inflator with a slow air leak. There are several Google references to disassembly instructions but the only one I found is in Polish.

The cognoscenti on my last dive trip insisted they were sealed and impossible to service. I refuse to believe I have to spend $70 to replace a few little o-rings.

They are not sealed, and I have stopped several leaks by disassembling, cleaning and replacing the o-rings.

I know I found a schematic or instructions for doing this somewhere, but I don't know where it was (I'd look at TDS first).

When I get home from my present trip, I'm going to do a photo essay on the inflator valve like the one I did for the dump valves. There's clearly a need for this.

They are not sealed, and I have stopped several leaks by disassembling, cleaning and replacing the o-rings.

I know I found a schematic or instructions for doing this somewhere, but I don't know where it was (I'd look at TDS first).

When I get home from my present trip, I'm going to do a photo essay on the inflator valve like the one I did for the dump valves. There's clearly a need for this.

Have you got around to making the photo essay yet, I sure could use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom