Lock ring gloves on dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the attached lock ring gloves???? do they keep your hands a lot warmer??? Are they very bulky???? do they work????

Thanks
Mike

I'm going to assume that you mean dry gloves that are stretched over a docking ring (such as the Viking dry glove system), if I am wrong, please clearify. I use this system with 2 liners on each hand and my hands stay toasty in 39 degree water (one liner is silk the second is just a normal yarn stretch glove you pick up at kmart for the winter). My hands are much more toasty than using wetsuit gloves/mitts and much more versatile.

If you are asking about the DUI system of gloves on a locking ring that one twists on to the sleeve of the drysuit, well, basically its the same affair, however if you flood the glove, you flood your suit as there is no wrist seal (a major difference between the Viking system and the DUI system).

If you are going to dive dry, dive dry: dry gloves and dry hood. Why compromise?

I see too many folks who do it in bits and pieces and wonder why they can't stay warm. I finally wised up when I got my Viking xtreme. Attached dry Surveyor hood, wrist rings with seals and dry gloves. Argon inflation system, pockets, and od valve. Viking undies and booties.

Next year I hope to have a Pro 1000. With that I'll get the Turbo or Magnum hoods, which are true dryhoods. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

Dive safe
Brock

Dry Glove systems are great! However, as was already pointed out, you have to get the style that keeps your wrist seal intact.

Of course I am biased because I helped develop the OS Systems set, but I think that having dry hands really makes your dive a lot more enjoyable. My wife loves hers because it saves her nails from water damage. For me, I like not having the bulk of neoprene so the buttons switches and knobs of my camera are much easier to access.

Just my $.02

Ray
http://www.ossystems.com

and OS Systems commercial suit. It looks like a good alternative to the DUI TLS or the Viking Pro, especially with the undies thrown in on your "best deal" . Think it would be suitable for cave and sump diving?

dive safe
Brock

PS- there are no local retailers here in Oklahoma. May I deal direct with you or go to Missouri?

We better take this off the board so we don't step on any toes. I'll set up your local dive shop to take care of you and waive the minimum opening order. You can contact me at dive@ossystems.com

Thanks,

Ray

I dive with 3mm wet suit gloves and a 6mm semi dry hood, and I'm good for 90mins in Superior - no problem (and I'm a real cold water panzy). I have nothing against dry gloves or hoods except when the gloves puncture you have problems. I haven't seen the need for them personally.

Mike

hi can any one give me any feed back on SI TECH dry gloves i and there locking system as i am looking for to keep my hand warm from now on hope to hear from any one thanks Bob

I have the Si-tech system and have used it for 5 years (they are also sold by DUI and BARE). There was a little bit of an initial learning curve with the O-rings on the cuff side, but haven't had any problems since the first couple of dives. We use the blue gloves available from the commercial fishing supply places for about $7 a pair. They are EXACTLY the same as the Si-tech gloves and some of the other "brand name" dry suit company gloves at a fraction of the cost. The gloves are sold with and with out a liner. I would go with my own liner as you can change them depengding on the water temps and what you personally like. The lined gloves are hard to dry if you have a cut/leak in the glove. The gloves are easily repaired with a dab of PVC cement.

My wife and I use the SI-tech dry gloves. At first it was a bit confusing on how to install them as the instructions are not 100% clear. But soon I got them attached and guessed at the distance to position the rings - from the dry suit cuffs and also on the gloves. After a couple of dives I repositioned the rings and now they fit and keep our hands warm - and a lot less bulk than the thick wet gloves. Also it's nice to be able to vary the inner gloves to match the water temp. The locking mechanism is easy to use and works well. So far no leaks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom