Viking Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
i just got a new viking and was wondering how much to cut the seals on the neck and wrist and around the face on the hood.

Can anyone help Nick? He is in a area about which I know nothing.

Dr Deco =-)

It depends on the type of seal,

tapered or bell / neoprene or latex I assume your talking about latex seals though...

Neoprene is best left un-cut in my opinion as it will stretch with time (unless of course it is cutting off blood flow, but remeber they are supposed to be pretty tight, much more so than latex)

For latex you will want to push something into the seal, one liter water bottles work well for the wrist seal and on the neck I usually use a large coffee can...

The latex will not stretch over time so it is important to trim the seal to a comfortable fit for you.

You can always cut more but not add any back so, start small trimming about 1/8" to a 1/4" at a time with an exacto hobby knife. Make sure the cut connects back into itself with no little tag (should look like one smooth cut) and checking the fit.

Wear the seal for a few minutes and if your hand changes color or goes numb you need to trim some more... Take your time but don't sweat it to much, the seals are not that hard to replace either...

Jeff Lane

Take as little off as possible - initially.
Take off only enough to be able to seal your mask to Your face - no more. Later You can take a bit more off. So what it if takes even 5 dives before You decide how much of the seal you want to remove for your comfort?

Diving here in Northern New England, I have seen it time and time again; People buy a new drysuit and proceed to cut too much out of the seals:
1) neck seal on suit
2) neck seal on hood (usually the biggest violation)
3) wrist seals
Remember - You can ALWAYS take more off later, but You CANNOT add it back after You cut it off.......
Approach this task as a surgeon would, not a butcher!

On a liveaboard trip to Cocos Island, Costa Rica, a diver decided to cut the neck seal down on her wetsuit because it was too high for comfort on the front of her neck (back zippered model). She quickly cut the seal almost completely out, only to find that the suit she cut wasn't even hers! I will never forget the look on the suit owner's face when she looked at her destroyed wetsuit. And we were 32 cruising hours away from the mainland.

Do it slowly and carefully! Good Luck! :eek:ut:

As I suspect that you'll get a better answer to your inquiry on a forum dedicated to exposure suits than on one dedicated to the scientific aspects of decompression, I've taken the liberty of moving the thread.

I don't dive dry, so I'm afraid that I can't be of additional assistance.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom