Wetsuits in washing machine???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenaddyman23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
is it safe to put neoprene items in the washing machine. i have a 5mm full wetsuit, 3mm shortie, 5mm gloves and a 5mm hood which could all do with a bit of a freshen up? any ideas?

I put all my neoprene in the washer on Gentle and cold water with a bit of laundry soap and had no issues. Was very happy with the turn out. I let them drip dry like I would after any other rinse after a dive.

I have a front loader but I suppose a top load could do the same thing, just dont spin and wash the stuff on the gentle cycle.

I would be more concerned with your washing machine. A heavy load may just damage it.

I suggest to place 1/2 cup of detergent in a deep bucket and rinse and wash it by hand. Followed by a good rinsing and air dry. No sense in loading up your machine. This simple wash method should clean your neoprene without causing any damage to your machine or suit.

I would be more concerned with your washing machine. A heavy load may just damage it.

I suggest to place 1/2 cup of detergent in a deep bucket and rinse and wash it by hand. Followed by a good rinsing and air dry. No sense in loading up your machine. This simple wash method should clean your neoprene without causing any damage to your machine or suit.

I think that a load of denim would weight more than a bit of scuba gear (especially 3 and 5 mil gear). I washed my 7 mil in my machine and had no issues but as I said, I have a front loader.

is it safe to put neoprene items in the washing machine. i have a 5mm full wetsuit, 3mm shortie, 5mm gloves and a 5mm hood which could all do with a bit of a freshen up? any ideas?

I'd say no. Even on gentle cycle, a washer can do a job on neoprene.

A front-loader with no agitator might be better than a top-loader, but I'd still avoid the washing machine.

Proper rinsing and drying after use and the occasional "bucket of soapy water" wash is sufficient.

I fully agree with rjp, i suggest a good soak and rinse in "sink the stink" or whatever, should be fine, if you must use a washing machine, go to a laundry mat, thats what we do with firefighting gear...lol

+1 on the "better to do it by hand".

i've used a front loader on my neoprene after every dive trip, and it's fine. i wouldn't use a top-loader's agitator, though.

On the way back from our dives I just pull in to a self serve car wash and have someone spray me down with soap and then rinse. Jump in the back of the truck and air dry on the way home and it's ready take off and hang up.

Just kidding don't try that, I'm sure those pressure sprayer would hurt if they miss the suit and your not getting inside clean (which is usually where the smell is coming from if your experiencing it).

I would suggest doing whatever floats your boat. Seems some have had success with machine wash and some advise against it. There is an amount of risk you take with washing anything in a washing machine. We have all had things screw up in the wash. Adding odd items that wasn't really considered in the design of the machine (like a wet suit) can increase the risk.

As for me... I wash my wet suit (and the rest of my gear) in the bath tub using lukewarm water and baby shampoo. Baby shampoo does a really good job for me and I mainly use it because it will not harm the environment or my equipment if for some reason I don't get all the suds out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some stiff crazy tree hug'n activist. When I dive, I'm not coming to save all the fish on reef, but I will not be coming to harm them or bring anything into their environment that may do so. Where ever I dive, I do my best to leave only bubbles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom