Neoprene or Latex wrist seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

globaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles/California, (originally from Stockholm
I need some outside input on any possible negative aspects on neoprene wrist seals on my dry suit. I have always used latex, but here in L.A they break down very fast due to pollution etc.

I had DUI put on military style (thicker) latex wrist seals one year ago when I replaced my seals, and they are already breaking up (yes I have taken care of them).

Are there any negative aspects of the neoprene seals compared to the latex ones that I should consider?

Sincerely

Anders

They just don't seal quite as well as latex. As long as a little leakage doesn't bother you they're fine. (I use 'em)
Rick

All my drysuits have had neoprene seals. I have never had a leaking problem with them except if I stick my arm straight up & rotate my wrist a certain way.

Reminds me of the old Doctor joke:
Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this [lifts arm & twists it backwards].
Doctor: Then do DO IT!

Sorry.. couldn't resist. :wink:

However, if it's any consolation, Pearce has used both latex & neoprene and prefers neoprene as well. He finds they are more forgiving of abuse & last longer than latex. Occasionally he gets a bit damp around the wrist if he dives without gloves, but nothing major or off-putting.

~SubMariner~

If you want a dry neoprene wrist seal get the tuck under neoprene seals. Your tendons will not create leaks, they are more protected so they last longer and you can adjust the length of your drysuits arms if you have fitting problems. The only let-down is that you cant vent the suit by raising your arm because the seal is too good. They are a little bulkyer than cone seals but if a lobster got into the hole your arm is going into then they will fit fine. Cone seals can be great or poor. A good cone seal will have to be long and tight, dui's are far to short. I would go with tuck under neoprene.

I'd second the tuck under neoprene seals if you go with neoprene. My wife uses them on her suit and has no problems even with small wrists and fairly prominent tendons.

I stick with heavy duty latex seals due to my dry gloves. They dont last as long but on the plus side they are easy to replace yourself. Neck seals are a different matter....

My experience results in opposing other posts about the tuck under kind of neoprene seals. I have really small wrists (5.5 inches) with very prominent tendons. I tried many different foldings to stop the leaking including tucking them under to the middle of my forearms and they still leaked. I was getting soaked up to my shoulders every dive. My neck seal leaked 50% of the time particularly if I tried to look down and occasionally for turning my head side to side.
I've since had both my neck and wrist seals changed to latex and now I really do dive dry!
The male divers I know with the same type of suit as me all have neoprene seals with absolutely no troubles. I found the neoprene seals more difficult to doff and don as women tend to have a large head to neck ratio. The latex stretches better and so it's easier (for me!) to use.

If you need to replace your seals anyway, give the neoprene ones a try.

Diverlady

I went from neoprene seals last year to latex on my new suit and I'm never looking back. The extra expense is well worth it once you're toasty warm and DRY under the water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom