What to wear under wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am just starting out with diving, and a few guys I talked to told me to wear spandex pabts under the wetsuit to aid in getting it on and off. Just wondering if this was a good idea, and also if you have any of your own ideas.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

I personally wear a "skin suit" made specifically for scuba under my wetsuit. It's basically a spandex suit that's smooth on the outside & either insulated or not on the inside. The extra insulation helps if you're diving in colder water & the suit makes getting into & out of my wetsuit really quick & easy. If I remember right, they can be had for $100 or less depending on the insulation... (Mine was a gift, so I don't really know the prices...) If you don't want to invest in a skin suit, I have heard that some people make up diluted solutions of either hair conditioner or liquid soap & water to squirt inside their suit & make it easier to get into. Hope this helps.

JP

Steve the only tidbit I can ad on this subject is that a skin etc. can easily snag in the zipper of a back zip wetsuit. For that very reason I don't wear one under my wetsuit. This situation can easily be overcome by your dive buddy but since I do a lot of solo diving that alternative is not available to me.
:shades:

Nothing, of course!!!

Seriously, I just wear my swim suit. Some of the newer suits are defeated if you wear something under them....like the Henderson Gold Core. This material must come in contact with your skin for the increased warmth. If you have trouble donning and doffing your suit, try a mixture of hair conditioner and water. You simply spray it on. I forget the exact portions.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice, I just might have to buy a dive skin since I am mainly going to be diving in colder water. Also if you know the exact portions of the hair conditioner water mixture I would like to know.

Thanks

Steve Aaen

is a must for me under thick wetsuits. Not for warmth, but to make darn suit come on/off easier.

Adding a lycra skin under my wetsuit was the best $30 investment I ever made. The other day we went snorkeling and I forgot to bring them. I wondered how I ever got my wetsuit on without one :D

Look around online (hint: Liesure Pro) They are only in the $30 range.

Scott

I wear a pair of spandex shorts, or I go commando if I forget them.

If you have trouble getting in, try doing it in water up to your neck (when possible). It's much easier, the suit will seem to slip right on.

Hope this helps!

Nothin' of course! That, or speedo...the Henderson Gold core is WAY warmer w/o anything between you and it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom