Advice Needed - Scubapro vs. Henderson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpsmith

Reaction score
Hello all-

My LDS carries Scubapro & Henderson (Hyperstretch & Gold Core) wetsuits. I'm looking to buy for 70s temps & up...I've always been comfortable in 3mm full wetsuits before, but have never dove in SP or Henderson.

Advice? I've read a lot of good things about Hyperstretch, but I'm interested in (1) how does it fare over time; (2) would I need a 5mm hyperstretch to equal a 3mm of another line (e.g., Body glove or O'Neill, which I've dove multiple times).

Thanks,
Jim

I can not speak to the Hyperstretch, but I own several Gold Core suits in varying thicknesses. I am quite pleased with them. They are as effective as anything else of similar weight and are much easier to get in and out of. I also find them comfortable compared to other wetsuits. I also own a ScubaPro diveskin, but it does not seem as durable as the Henderson products. If I were to buy another, I would go Henderson.

I am quite happy with my ScubaPro regulators and fins, so don't take this as a broad knock of ScubaPro. I just like the Henderson suits.

I just traded my Scubapro S-Tek 7mm for a Henderson Hyperstretch 7/5. Ive not dove yet with the Henderson, but i can tell you this the comfort is not even comparable. The henderson feels like pajamas where the Scubapro felt very constricting. Im not sure on the insulating value however.....Fireguy

jpsmith once bubbled...
My LDS carries Scubapro & Henderson (Hyperstretch & Gold Core) wetsuits.

Both good products. This is one of the only areas where Scubapro is not exorbitantly overpriced. Don't be fooled by terms such as "gold core". A smooth inner lining is good for anything thicker than 3mil to help it slide on, but "gold" and "titanium" cores are pure marketing BS designed to separate your money from your wallet.

I'm looking to buy for 70s temps & up...I've always been comfortable in 3mm full wetsuits before, but have never dove in SP or Henderson.

People vary dramaticly on their need for thermal protection. If a 3mm full works down to 70 for you (it would for me) then that is all you need.

Advice? I've read a lot of good things about Hyperstretch, but I'm interested in (1) how does it fare over time; (2) would I need a 5mm hyperstretch to equal a 3mm of another line (e.g., Body glove or O'Neill, which I've dove multiple times)

Body glove and O'Neill are your "wallmart" brands of wetsuits. Why would you pay signficantly more for a wetsuit that offered less thermal protection? You are thinking opposite here. If a 3mm Body Glove is enough, you certainly don't need more thickness from a better suit.

My personal opinion is if 3mm is all you need, go with the cheaper brands. Scubapro and Henderson is not going to get you any benefit. Once you get thicker, you really want to start looking for the wistles and bells.

James

I have a Henderson 3mm hyperstretch and have about a dozen dives on it.On long reef dives in mid 70's temps I was cold and needed to purchase a core warmer.I don't feel it is as insulating as other wetsuits of the same thickness.Friends of mine feel the same way about their 5mm HH. As well the suits pill extensively. I have also heard they loose their insulating quality faster than other suits. Henderson also seems to be unwilling to stand behind their product and has suggested that we (me and five of my friends) have not taken proper care of our suits. This is definately not the case and they began to pill after the first dive.

I'll agree 50% with Mr Goddard and disagree with him the other 50%. The titanium suits have been a real marketing BS. They would like for you to believe that titanium helps to conduct your body heat. Doesn't work that way!!!!

The slick skin or Gold Core forms a seal when it comes in contact with your skin. Look at one of these suits when they are taken off after a dive......only tiny little beads of water on the suit. They are ususally dry within 15 minutes.

On the down side, the Gold Core suits are not as durable. Very easy to poke a hole through that slick material. Also, the seams are quite prone to splitting.

If both suits fit equally well, I would go with the Hyperstretch suit. You can't beat this material for absolute comfort. I have a custom one by Liquid Fit. Just got it a short time ago and have 15 dives on it. Holding up just fine.

Good luck to you!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom