Bare Drysuit + Bare Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

furby076

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I am getting a Bare Drysuit and the zipper side pockets (BTW it's a freaking rip off that you have to buy the pockets seperately). Since I am not going to pay shipping and handling (both ways) + $150 to have BARE put on the pockets (the dive shop said I can do it on my own), does anyone have tips/recommendations? THe place I ordered the wetsuit from is including two types of glue. One is a sealer type glue, and the other is a contact (i want to say cement) - though I can't remember right now.

So any tips, tricks, recommended location on the thigh?

Regards

Its not a ripoff. Not everyone wants then. You want them then they add them and charge you for it.

When I ordered my Bare there was no extra charge for shipping and the pocket was $50 not $75. I had the factory put it on because it was quicker and more convenient that way. I believe they also warranty it if the glue starts to let go.

I am not doubting your pricing, but what I got was something else:

Pockets x2 = $63
Mounting = $75 /pocket = $150
Shipping = to them and back (i don't recall the amount they asked)
Total $213 + shipping (to and back). Let's say shipping both ways is $37 that's 250.

Drysuit cost me $680. That's about 35% of the drysuit for pockets. I call that a rip off.

Even your pricing, you paid $163 (plus shipping to BARE). That's a lot of money for pockets. 23%

Not everyone want's pockets on their jeans or winter jacket but the companies that make these don't make them an option with a price tag that is 23% or 35% extra on the cost

Anyhow - my question wasn't "do you think this is a ripoff" but recommended location to mount and technique.

I paid $50 and had them put on when I bought the suit. There was no charge to instal them and no charge for shipping any direction.

Your post sounded like you ordered a suit. Now it sounds like you bought one somewhere else (used maybe) and want the factory to put them on. Id expect a hefty fee for that.

Just send it to a well regarded drysuit repair shop. They'll be able to sell you a generic pocket and install it for a lot less than the numbers you posted.

I paid $50 and had them put on when I bought the suit. There was no charge to instal them and no charge for shipping any direction.

Your post sounded like you ordered a suit. Now it sounds like you bought one somewhere else (used maybe) and want the factory to put them on. Id expect a hefty fee for that.

Just send it to a well regarded drysuit repair shop. They'll be able to sell you a generic pocket and install it for a lot less than the numbers you posted.

BARE paid for shipping to them? That's great. Let me know how to get that deal.

Your 2nd paragraph is wrong - making you wrong. I bought all items, while at the dive shop, brand spanking new. Dry suit, pockets, boots, undergarment, weights, gloves, rings, etc.

You definitely are trolling here, so I am going to do the best thing that I can do - ignore you.

No, Bare put them on my new suit before they sent it to the dive shop where I ordered it.

If you wanted pockets on s brand new suit, why didn't you make the shop deal with Bare to get you one with pockets or modify the suit in their inventory? Alternatively, the shop could have sent it out to their repair person and had it done. Go call the LFS where you bought that suit and tell them you want pockets and you want them to take care of you.

No. I went to the store, bought the suit, the pockets, and everything else at the exact same time. There was no option to buy the pockets pre-installed.

Anyhow - why are you focusing on this aspect.
My question:
1) recommended glue to use
2) recommended location
3) Other suggestions to mounting the thing

We are focusing on this issue because you made fairly big deal about the cost of having pockets installed. I ordered my Bare D6 Prodry from my LDS and had Bare install the bells & whistles I wanted while they put together my suit. So there were no extra shipping or other big costs involved. You bought yours off-the-rack, so any thing they do to it, they are starting from scratch. That's why it costs what it costs (which is not exorbitant, IMHO.) You may as well have sent them a used suit from another manufacturer

Also, if you just dropped all that money at the LFS, it seems like they should be arranging for those pockets to be glued on not you. At most a nominal charge for the service but I would have insisted they do it free in light of all the stuff purchased.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom