New Bare SB System Drysuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Terry,

I am part of the BARE Test Dive team. I have been diving this suit now in various stages for over 6 months now. The first dives I did, I couldn't believe that a drysuit could perform and feel like a wetsuit. It was a second skin, moved with me in every direction, felt extremely comfortable. It is very light only 7 or so pounds, depending on cuff-rings/boots as those can add weight, front zipper only (which I like). The zipper is from Ti-Zip using their masterseal model. Very very flexible, making it the easist drysuit zipper I have ever used for donning and doffing.

Color is cool, design lines are very clean, unique. Butt pad is available, knee pads performed great, different material/make up from all other BARE drysuits.

I have been walking around in the suit for as long as 5 hours at the work place, went to Subway during lunch of that day, testing the comfort of the breathability, very impressed, never over heated, nor had any sweat or moisture on my clothes even after that length of time!! I have gone crabbing, deep dives, shallow dives, boat/shore dives, and in most cases, found that I am in no rush to get out of the suit, as I am that comfortable. :cool2:

Cheers,

D

Hey Terry,

I am part of the BARE Test Dive team. I have been diving this suit now in various stages for over 6 months now. The first dives I did, I couldn't believe that a drysuit could perform and feel like a wetsuit. It was a second skin, moved with me in every direction, felt extremely comfortable. It is very light only 7 or so pounds, depending on cuff-rings/boots as those can add weight, front zipper only (which I like). The zipper is from Ti-Zip using their masterseal model. Very very flexible, making it the easist drysuit zipper I have ever used for donning and doffing.

Color is cool, design lines are very clean, unique. Butt pad is available, knee pads performed great, different material/make up from all other BARE drysuits.

I have been walking around in the suit for as long as 5 hours at the work place, went to Subway during lunch of that day, testing the comfort of the breathability, very impressed, never over heated, nor had any sweat or moisture on my clothes even after that length of time!! I have gone crabbing, deep dives, shallow dives, boat/shore dives, and in most cases, found that I am in no rush to get out of the suit, as I am that comfortable. :cool2:

Cheers,

D

Thanks for your reply. It seems this drysuit is close to ideal if it's functioning as you described. Could you please provide more information regarding how does this drysuit cope with different water temperatures ranging from 30s to 70s degree? In other words, are there separate undergarments that we can choose to cope with different situation. Thank you again for your kind and helpful response.

Best regards,

Terry

yes there are special undergarments as well, I forgot to mention those. The pieces I hve been test diving, is a 2 pc base layer (full stretch, high wicking/breathing, not much warmth by themselves), and a 2 pc main layer. This is also 4 way stretch, high wicking, not as much breathability as the base layer, but provides tremendous warmth. The waters I am diving in range from 42 to 56 so far, and depending on the temp. depends on how many pieces I wear. I truly love the fact all 4 pcs provide similar stretch movements, and breath all the way from BASE Layer through to outside of the drysuit! I have been told, they are making a 1 pc main layer option and also a Vest (more like street wear) of the same material, so I guess if you are cold you really layer up, or if you prefer the traditional jump suit, you can have a 1 pc. Base layer only comes as two piece option. As for answering your comment about Ideal, I couldn't agree more!!!:D I have been diving for over 15 years, almost all cold water, roughly 1200 dives, and I have never experienced a drysuit like this!

D

Hi Dive GuruDJ, I found your comments very helpful. I am interested in this BARE SB suit also. We are in Eastern Canada. The water here is often between 31 and 34 *F in the winter. Does Bare make special underwear for our kind of temperatures and can the SB system be adapted for our conditions.

Any issues reaching valves in doubles, etc? My tech hd has some annoying qualities in the arm pits that make it very difficult at times to reach my posts.

Badadious,

From what I can tell so far, the underwear that the BARE guys have sent me to test with the suit, seem to be able to accomadate any temp. range. It is the first ever compression resistant fleece from Polartec, and it was produced in cojunction with the Navy Seals, having a base layer, mid layer and vest option, I feel that it would work with any temp. I just went diving on Wed/Thur between 130 and 160 feet for up t0 50 mins, and the temp. was 43 farh. on the West coast, and I didn't even wear the vest!

Vjanelle,

I must admit I haven't dove with twins, with the SB drysuit, though I have dove with Steel 130's and extra tanks, and so far, I have no restrictions, I did own the Trilam HD Tech dry for the past 7 years, and have loved that suit, but as per my first reply, the SB drysuit, isn't a comparable product. IT IS FULL STRETCH, with breathability, in a trimlaminate style, so movement is absolutely unrestricted, and the suit doesn't need ATR, Crotch strap, two layers (aka Fusion) to provide this stretch and movement. As a tech diver/long dives diver, and with all the test dives I ahve done over the past 15 years, for multiple dive brands, I have never come across a suit like this. It really doesn't compare to any other products, it is truly innovative and unique, which I guess in the short term is something for BARE to figure out how they are going to bring it to market and the users to have evaluated by everyone.

Black Jack,

I think it is best to be very clear hear, the SB drysuit is not a competitive product with the Whites Fusion or anything else, it is completely different. Whites fusion is two suits bonded with velcro, and not really innovative, it works, but still it is a bilaminate shell, with a neoprene cover-all to keep it in place (of course this varies depending on the outshell one buys). The SB drysuit, is a true trilaminate, one piece, that doesn't need to be super baggy in fact, BARE has told me that they will offer the suit in 16 sizes as you are still to purchase your size and fit. It doesn't use their patented ATR system, nor a crotch strap to provide stretch, ease of movement, even though it is a front zip (self donning drysuit). The zipper is plastic, means the whole suit with HD rubber boots is only 7 or so pounds (awesome for cave diving, traveling etc), and if you go with the soft sock option it is even lighter, though I haven't tried that style yet. Also the price range of this suit, isn't Whites Fusion pricing, I have been told, that they plan to make it around the 2500 dollar CAD/USD mark. I know the fusion with the most rugged skirt, is only about 2000 cad. or so.

For all of the answers I just posted, please hit me back with future questions, but note, that as I dive all the time and work full time, my response aren't always timely, for which I apoligize.

CHeers,

Back
Top Bottom