Cold water/Ice hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rockit

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have a source for a hood like the one pictured?
My father does fish counts/stream surveys. To do so, they swim/crawl upstream facing current. With fast winter flows, much of it snow melt, water will catch the leading edge of the hood causing a balloning of the hood. They are in the water for 10-12 hours a day and end up freezing.

Any help would be great!

Attachments

• A_IceHood.jpg
    A_IceHood.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 3,897
Henderson made a product called the ice cap - Henderson Ice Cap discounts on sale Henderson. The idea was that you wear it under a regular hood in very cold water and it helps insulate you. I used it in Antarctica a few seasons back, underneath what is far-and-away the best hood made for diving: the Otter Bay 12mm custom hood (Otterbaysuits.com Homepage) The Otter Bay hood is custom made for your head, based on a series of measurements, and it's not any more expensive than a good quality hood; it astounds me anyone would bother to buy a stock, off the shelf hood with them out there.

Anyway, the two together do really well and keep you very toasty; the water was 28 degrees F when I was in it, and I actually contemplated ditching the ice cap because I was too warm. The only drawbacks were that the ice cap is fragile - where I had to apply some seam tape and neoprene cement to the seams, and that it's a PITA to put on the ice cap then a hood on top.

Worked well, though!

ice-cap-antarctica.jpg

Back
Top Bottom